1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you confirm this answer?

1. Dec 18, 2004 #1
    I don't have an answer to this, as I'm going over an old test, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

A 120kg crate is pulled from rest across a frictionless floor with a constant horizontal force of 400 N for a distance of 12m. The force continues to be applied, but for the next 12 m the floor is not frictionless and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of .30. What's the final speed?

I get 9.44m/s by adding the work done when the box is frictionless (4800J), then subtracting it from the work lost to the friction (4233) and set that quantity = .5mv^2. Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope.U need to consider this statement:(underlined).U'll figure out what's missing from your judgements.

Daniel.

4. Dec 18, 2004 #3
    Hm....I still can't get it. After it's in the friction zone, there's 400N forward * 12m to give you 4800J - 352.8N of friction * 12m = the work done on the box during the duration of second half of sliding. You add that to the first half...solve for .5mv^2 and I get 9.45 again...I'm lost :cry:

5. Dec 18, 2004 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If u wrote anything similar to this:
    [tex] \frac{mv^{2}}{2} =9600 -\mu mg\cdot 12 [/tex]
    ,then it's okay.

Daniel.

PS.I believe that 9,45m/s is okay.

6. Dec 18, 2004 #5
    Yea, that's what I had..although in a slightly different form. Alright, I'm happy to know I wasn't wrong now :biggrin: I was rippin my hair out over that! :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?