Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you crack this code?

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    http://www.canyoucrackit.co.uk/index.asp

If you can crack it, you will get a job as a European Spy!!

That's the link to where you can attempt to crack the code. You get unlimited attempts!

P.S. If anyone gets the code, please feel free to post here, lol

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2

jhae2.718

Gold Member

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If there are any machine level coders out there, the following has a great 4 part video(30 minutes total) of the entire puzzle: How to solve the GCHQ challenge

I was curious how he knew op code EB was a JMP command, but I guess with Intel making chips for nearly all computers nowadays, x86 is the de facto language.

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4
    Most people who do low level stuff on a machine recognize a program when they see it. It is placing the program in the right context, like recognizing the algorithms, hashes and what to do with it, which is the hard part. Absolutely stunning solution by the guy.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  6. Dec 11, 2011 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There have been a few stories in the UK media about this. Actually, the objective wasn't to get people to crack the code by working on their own. GCHQ would have been surprised if solutions hadn't quickly appeared on the web. The real objective was to get people (and especially students) thinking about this sort of thing as a possible career option.

7. Dec 11, 2011 #6

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I think their bigger problem is losing skilled people to higher-paying jobs in private industry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook