Is dating a younger guy a bad idea?

• Thread starter mooberrymarz
  • Start date
In summary: I don't get it.Do you think it's because we're more experienced, or what?Hehe... Younger=more mature? or...wow kerrie. Congratulations.! :biggrin: Evo how come you almost always date younger guyz..?They're easier to train. :biggrin:There's nothing wrong with younger guys (or younger girls). I've almost always dated older girls (a couple of years or so, for example), and always had good relationships. Lately it seems women my age (25) no longer want to date men... they want to date women half their age (18
bucket.gif

See previous post for context.

Physics news on Phys.org
that still may be too small (counting the number of single available desiring lonely eager anxious hormonal males here)

I think you will need a bigger bucket...or what's the scale factor on that? :biggrin:

mattmns said:
Hey! I'm not dead, taken, nor gay, are you saying I'm not a good man? :cry:

Wow! I'm sure you're good, matt!:approve:
Wait! Am I questioning your gender here?:uhh:

DaveC426913 said:
By definition, cougars do the catching. The fact that she convinced you that you were doing the chasing is just one in the cougar's bag o tricks.

I speak from experience. (But keep this under yer hat. If she reads this, she'll kill me :wink:.)

I agree, the cougar is a great catch and famous for its fearce power and smooth ride.

mercury-cougar.gif

RaaaaRaaaaaaaawW

DaveC426913 said:
By definition, cougars do the catching.

Unless it's one of those 'baiting the trap' situations.:biggrin:

I am now convinced. I am the only human being on this forum. The rest of you are programs designed to entertain me. It all makes perfect sense now.

enigma said:
Age differences stop having as much of a meaning as you get older.

2 years seems like a big difference when you're a teenager. Maybe even into the really early 20s.

Once you're mid-twenties, 2 years would be a non-issue

Can't agree any more. Maturity level starts to vary as you grow older, but everyone starts to pretty much look the same anyways.

Howers said:
I am now convinced. I am the only human being on this forum. The rest of you are programs designed to entertain me. It all makes perfect sense now.

Solipsism as applied to an internet forum, that's a new one to me.

jimmysnyder said:
I'm 58, so that means I can have a girlfriend 36 years old. I told my wife about this. She said I should be careful she doesn't divide me in two. And add 7 lumps on my head.
Ooh, perfect, I'm 36 and don't mind my men a little lumpy. :biggrin: That I shouldn't date anyone younger than 25 will make the 23 yo student I traveled to HI with very happy (people kept asking if we were on our honeymoon when we'd go places together, and his usual reaction was "Hell NO!" :rofl:...they'd give us a weird look, and I'd explain we only work together and were there on business...in their defense, after that much time together, we WERE bickering like a married couple, so it seemed an honest mistake).

Howers said:

:rofl: "I'm not here for your entertainment..."

I can't believe how many pages I had to read through to find out who resurrected this old thread. It's not very often that a necropost gets more replies than when it was a new topic.

Necropost. I just learned a new word.

Lisa! said:
Good men are either taken, dead or gay!:groan:
What about the ones that have vowed to be single and celibate for life? Those can be good men, too.

DT_tokamak said:
What about the ones that have vowed to be single and celibate for life? Those can be good men, too.
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that these are very irritable guys on a short fuse...:rolleyes:

DT_tokamak said:

Here we're talking about normal people who're good to live with!:wink:

I often figured a single and celibate life marked a higher existence, an existence that exercises domination over the human body's primitive desire for mating and sexual partnership. There are so many wonderful things to explore out there so why should we confine ourselves by succumbing to hindering desires? Relationships expend excess energy that could be put towards greater ambition. Moreover, they often lead to children which are tremendous resource drains. Since the planet is well over populated at the moment and will be for many years to come, I think it would be a noble effort on our parts to refrain mating.

DT_tokamak said:
I often figured a single and celibate life marked a higher existence, an existence that exercises domination over the human body's primitive desire for mating and sexual partnership. There are so many wonderful things to explore out there so why should we confine ourselves by succumbing to hindering desires? Relationships expend excess energy that could be put towards greater ambition. Moreover, they often lead to children which are tremendous resource drains. Since the planet is well over populated at the moment and will be for many years to come, I think it would be a noble effort on our parts to refrain mating.
To what is this "higher existence" devoted? Why is it better? How does one define better?
Why do you establish a false premise by your use of the word "succumbing"?
Why do you assume these desires are "hindering"?
Why do you think that denying our natural needs and desires is going to make us happier and more pleasant company?
What is the purpose of this "ambition" and why is it better than loving thy neighbour or thy children? How is ambition a more noble cause? How does it make you a better person?

What you have described above could be interpreted by many as the exact opposite of noble. It can be interpreted as self-serving power-seeking megalomania.

To many, the highest purpose we can devote ourselves to is friends and family, the lowest cause being personal ambition.

Not that there's anything wrong with ascribing to the philosphy you detail, I'm just saying that it's different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
That and the last time I checked, people have reproductive organs that actually (wow can you believe it~!) remains meaningful even up to this day in whatever function they have.

DT_tokamak said:

hmmm...I was thinking about not eating/drinking anymore since we can save many of our planet resourses, but unfortunately that's a different thing since we can stay alive this way. Not to mention about the joys we get from what we eat and drink! On the other hand, what you say is still a nobel prize since this way we can get rid of human race, these annoying race who're ruining the Earth that others species are living on it!
Anyway as a human being you're free to choose your way of life and we can force you to live and think the way we think that's better, but I don't think that's be a good idea not to care about our body's needs! I might be wrong though, so all people aren't the same way.

Actually, relationships are fine if they suit you. But I do like to argue the extreme because it is often assumed, at least implicitly, that living single and celibate is not a 'good' or realistic option. People almost never mention it in context of life choices.

So really, people's negative judgment of a single and celibate lifestyle is the same as a judgment of a life involving a relationship and family.

DT_tokamak said:
Actually, relationships are fine if they suit you. But I do like to argue the extreme because it is often assumed, at least implicitly, that living single and celibate is not a 'good' or realistic option. People almost never mention it in context of life choices.

So really, people's negative judgment of a single and celibate lifestyle is the same as a judgment of a life involving a relationship and family.

There's arguably a good reason for people to feel this way, in that one practice perpetuates the existence of our species and one does not.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: "I'm not here for your entertainment..."
:rofl: You are entertaining though.
Do you mind if we're not so lumpy? :biggrin:

I've gotten that "You're too young for me comment" a lot lately. :confused:
It does seem to be a big consideration for a lot of women.
They also get annoyed when you tell them just how much younger they actually are.

I ended up on a date with this one woman thru a musician friend of mine.
Not a bad date, until I mentioned my kids.
Turned out she was younger than my sons girlfriend :uhh:

Oh, well. Maybe I should take up cougar hunting.

loseyourname said:
There's arguably a good reason for people to feel this way, in that one practice perpetuates the existence of our species and one does not.

Do you argue that reason? I would be interested to hear that argument, especially considering that we have more than enough people on this planet at present.

DT_tokamak said:

Still pretty useless for someone interested in finding a mate who ISN'T celibate. They sure wouldn't do me any good.

Moonbear said:
Still pretty useless for someone interested in finding a mate who ISN'T celibate. They sure wouldn't do me any good.
That is true. I cannot deny your point there.

I like to point out to people the many benefits that come with a single & celibate lifestyle. People usually never consider it as an option. But you have a level of freedom to learn and explore, completely unhindered, by not having relational attachments of that nature.

As I've lived, I've endured many a friend's discourse on the stresses, constrictions, and overall unhappiness they've had to endure while being in a relationship. I say to them, "why do you put yourself through this?" And they say, "because I love her." And I do not comprehend the logic of this response, and moreover, contend that it is not really love, but familiarity and attachment that they suffer from. They, by observation, are happy less often than they are unhappy. I'm quite certain this can be experimentally verified. So why succumb to a state in which you are happy less than you are unhappy, bearing no logical reason, and to which the only defense for said state is of an irrational and emotional persuasion?

DT_tokamak said:
I like to point out to people the many benefits that come with a single & celibate lifestyle. People usually never consider it as an option. But you have a level of freedom to learn and explore, completely unhindered, by not having relational attachments of that nature.

You don't have to be single or celibate to have that freedom. Different people have different types of relationships, and you seem to be making assumptions about those relationships to claim one needs to be single or celibate (or both) to be free. For example, I'm single, not celibate, am in a relationship I enjoy, yet am completely unhindered in doing whatever I want. I wouldn't go for any relationship that put restrictions on my freedoms. Do whatever floats your boat, but don't push it on others as better than any choice they might make for themselves.

Moonbear said:
You don't have to be single or celibate to have that freedom. Different people have different types of relationships, and you seem to be making assumptions about those relationships to claim one needs to be single or celibate (or both) to be free. For example, I'm single, not celibate, am in a relationship I enjoy, yet am completely unhindered in doing whatever I want. I wouldn't go for any relationship that put restrictions on my freedoms. Do whatever floats your boat, but don't push it on others as better than any choice they might make for themselves.
I am merely offering the option as it is not suggested and often overlooked by the greater part of society. If you do not wish to explore that option, this is of course, your choice. However any emotional recourse you feel of this being pushed on you is likely a result of your own internal conflicts. This has nothing to do with me as I'm just a guy on an internet forum and I have no power over your life.

Ha, one of the banner ads on PF for this post is "Cougar Woman Younger Man".

DT_tokamak said:

Your cause is noble but I'm sorry, life is too short to not screw...

DT_tokamak said:
I am merely offering the option as it is not suggested and often overlooked by the greater part of society. If you do not wish to explore that option, this is of course, your choice. However any emotional recourse you feel of this being pushed on you is likely a result of your own internal conflicts. This has nothing to do with me as I'm just a guy on an internet forum and I have no power over your life.

Please don't play armchair psychologist here. There are no internal conflicts, I just think your point of view is rather oddly misplaced in a thread asking about women dating younger men, which leads me to think you're trying to push a particular idea rather than take a natural path in the discussion. Nobody asked about celibacy. If they wanted to be celibate, they wouldn't have asked the original question in the first place. I'll leave celibacy for the priests...as far as I know, they're not available for dating either.

DT_tokamak said:
I am merely offering the option as it is not suggested and often overlooked by the greater part of society. If you do not wish to explore that option, this is of course, your choice. However any emotional recourse you feel of this being pushed on you is likely a result of your own internal conflicts.
You're doing some serious backpedaling here.

You stated your opinions as if they were stronger than the status quo.

"... a single and celibate life marked a higher existence..."
"... the human body's primitive desire for mating and sexual partnership..."
"...why should we confine ourselves by succumbing to hindering desires?
"...Relationships expend excess energy that could be put towards greater ambition.
"...Moreover, they often lead to children which are tremendous resource drains
"... I think it would be a noble effort on our parts to refrain mating..."

In fact, 'twas us (or more accurately, me :wink:) who said:

"...different strokes for different folks..."

You now seem to be trying to claim credit for the "different strokes" philosophy, and then suggesting that other interpretation of your words is ... how did you put it? "...the result of our own internal conflicts..."

<h2>1. Can a relationship with a younger guy be successful?</h2><p>Yes, a relationship with a younger guy can definitely be successful. Age does not determine the success of a relationship, as long as both partners are committed and compatible.</p><h2>2. What are the challenges of dating a younger guy?</h2><p>One challenge could be differences in life experience and maturity levels. This can lead to misunderstandings and conflicts, but with open communication and understanding, these challenges can be overcome.</p><h2>3. Is it socially acceptable to date a younger guy?</h2><p>Society's views on age gap relationships have become more accepting in recent years, but there may still be some judgement or criticism from others. Ultimately, it is up to the individuals involved to decide what is best for them.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to dating a younger guy?</h2><p>Dating a younger guy can bring a fresh perspective and energy to the relationship. They may also have a more adventurous and spontaneous nature, which can be exciting and fun.</p><h2>5. How do you handle the potential future age gap in the relationship?</h2><p>It is important to have open and honest conversations about the potential future age gap in the relationship. This includes discussing expectations, desires, and concerns. It is also important to consider how the age gap may affect the relationship in the long term and to make decisions based on what is best for both partners.</p>

1. Can a relationship with a younger guy be successful?

Yes, a relationship with a younger guy can definitely be successful. Age does not determine the success of a relationship, as long as both partners are committed and compatible.

2. What are the challenges of dating a younger guy?

One challenge could be differences in life experience and maturity levels. This can lead to misunderstandings and conflicts, but with open communication and understanding, these challenges can be overcome.

3. Is it socially acceptable to date a younger guy?

Society's views on age gap relationships have become more accepting in recent years, but there may still be some judgement or criticism from others. Ultimately, it is up to the individuals involved to decide what is best for them.

4. Are there any benefits to dating a younger guy?

Dating a younger guy can bring a fresh perspective and energy to the relationship. They may also have a more adventurous and spontaneous nature, which can be exciting and fun.

5. How do you handle the potential future age gap in the relationship?

It is important to have open and honest conversations about the potential future age gap in the relationship. This includes discussing expectations, desires, and concerns. It is also important to consider how the age gap may affect the relationship in the long term and to make decisions based on what is best for both partners.