Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you do a better job?

1. Yes. My IQ is in four figures!

4 vote(s)
  2. Yes. Any four year old can.

2 vote(s)
  3. No. I genuinely think they are superior to me.

1 vote(s)
  4. Other. (please post)

9 vote(s)
  1. Jun 22, 2003 #1

Ya Wanna Be President?

Let's tackle this one...

If you were the leader of the US, or any other country you live in(please post), do you think you can do a better job than the current leader(s)?

And please post why...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2003 #2
    well i voted yes but now that i think about it a little more i imagine that all the self serving and materialistic heathens that make up our political system would surely kill me off before i accomplished anything anyway.
  4. Jun 22, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is too limiting for me. In principle, I would rather be President than have Bush as President, but I would be way down on my list of options. This has more to do with motive than intelligence...well... in Bush Jr's case I fear intelligence is also a problem. However, in no way am I cut out to be President. I would likely, quickly be shot dead! Even if I were so naive as to assume that I have all of the right answers, leadership is another quality entirely.
  5. Jun 23, 2003 #4
    To be fair, IQ has not a lot to do with being president. Being good at shaking hands, not upsetting the average american and having a bit of charisma are more important.

Of course it would be better if you had a president with a large IQ as they could learn things faster.
  6. Jun 23, 2003 #5
    I wouldn't want to be president simply because I have enough things to worry about. Not only that, but to say "yes, let me have the oval office" is too blatant and too naive (on my part) of a statement.

Concerning IQ, obviously a high IQ is not a requirement to be president.
  7. Jun 24, 2003 #6
    Obviously, having a high IQ is not a legal requirement, but I think that it is of paramount importance...seconded only by noble intentions. The President is a decision-maker. The ability to decide well how to accomplish a goal falls under the category of intelligence.

And, yes, I would want to be President, because I have both noble intentions and high intelligence, as well a disdain for corruption.

I know that I would be exceedingly better at the job than junior.
  8. Jun 24, 2003 #7
    As much as i like to think i could do a better job than Tony i doubt that i could, i definetly dont think i would be able to put up with bush as much as he does.
  9. Jun 24, 2003 #8
    Well, if I were given a free pass to lie, like Bush has, I could be president too!! I would claim that teh best way to handle the nations finances(and women) is to give them all over to me!
  10. Jun 24, 2003 #9

Science Advisor

Re: Ya Wanna Be President?

Yes, I think I could do a lot "better" as I see it.
    But then, not many people would like me after I'm done...:wink:
    It would take many years and new generations only to realize
    that I was right.

Live long and prosper.
  11. Jun 24, 2003 #10
    I think there ought to be a battery of tests to become eligible for president, intelligence and ethics tests, nothing political, but a bare minimum for the responsibility.
  12. Jun 25, 2003 #11
    I agree with you scharz, although I think that alot of people would think it "undemocratic"

With the great power present in public office, a person should show that he has decent ability before taking that office.
  13. Jun 27, 2003 #12
    That's great but would it be possible to contain a disdain for corruption and still have the financial backing of sponsors who are corrupted?
  14. Jul 4, 2003 #13
    I put down other becuase first off i dont know everything about the goverment and second off i could either save humanity or destroy our flawed system in trun destroying us. Like i wouldent have gone to war or promote so much amercian pride if it came at the cost of hatred of other freindly nations.
  15. Jul 5, 2003 #14
    Re: Ya Wanna Be President?

It seems that the very same people who assist the leader of a country to become the leader of a country also are the antagonists and the blackmailers of the leader they put in power.

So... I would immediately remove... by whatever means... my closest non-financial supporters. The financial supporters would also be ostrichized.

In Canada there is a new law that says public corporations are limited to a 1000 dollar donation. Private citizens are allowed much more muck a muck.

I would also have my secret service hand picked by my wife and I during dinner parties with the crew. These are some of the closest people to a leader and must be congruent with the social, moral and political leanings of the leader. They can have no dealings with any other party or corporation.

You can see now why Stalin, Hitler, Saddam and a host of other former and disposed leaders went nuts and ended up killing half their population... regardless of political leaning... it was out of parinoia and concern for hanging on to the leadership and the interests of supporting corporations and institutions.

Once I had gained complete control of my staff and my security I'd begin the weekly town meetings... much like Ross Perot's idea... and get "in touch" with the people........ also using the resource of the people's ideas with regard to how they'd like their country lead.... as opposed to filling their country with lead... (harr)

The special interests of the few would be considered as much as the special interests of the majority. Education would be fully funded as it was intended to be according to some constitutions...... healthcare would become a thing of the past since everyone would be so well educated as to be able to take care of themselves with great quality and expertise..... (after about 100 years of my leadership)

This could go on forever so I'll stop now.
  16. Jul 7, 2003 #15
    my ten year old cousin could do a better job than tony blair, i dont want to offend any of you americans, but ive noticed that blair tends follow bush around and take orders like a little lost dog.
  17. Jul 7, 2003 #16
    That statement sounds more offensive to British citizens but any how, yes, that (the taking orders from Bush) has been observed and commented on before.
  18. Jul 7, 2003 #17
    I didnt take any offence to the previous post, but maybe thats because i know that blair is like a little dog following bush where ever he goes.
  19. Jul 8, 2003 #18
    I agree too. And I don't see why that would be "undemocratic". You have to take some tests to work in a nuclear plant and nobody says it's undemocratic. And being a political leader is much important. After all anyone can try to take the tests and oly those that pass them will be able to run for president/Senate/whatever...
    There will be a problem with who makes those tests and who checks the answers....
  20. Jul 8, 2003 #19
    That's good. I was implying that if that statement would have offended someone, it would be British citizens.
  21. Jul 8, 2003 #20
    thats cool, some dumbass over patriotic fools would probably get offended.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?