Can you do a Masters in Physics with a Bachelor degree in Architecture?

In summary, if you want to pursue a physics degree without a bachelor's degree, you should attempt to gain admission into an undergraduate physics program and demonstrate a basic knowledge of physics by completing an undergraduate physics programme.
samya__
Hello, I'm an undergraduate student at Cairo University and I'm about to start studying Architecture this September. I really had no chance to choose to study Physics at an undergrad level. My question is whether it is possible in the US or in Europe to do a masters degree in physics without having a bachelor degree in it. Knowing I have always wanted to become a physicist and do research. I know that at least I should have some kind of background in quantum mechanics and other higher-level topics in physics if I want an MSc, so what is really the best I can do if I want to self-study Physics without affecting a degree much, noting that an architecture major is known to be really time-consuming.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be surprised if you find a serious university that would admit you to a master education without the proper documented prerequisites.

Likes russ_watters, symbolipoint and Vanadium 50
The question is can you do physics? If you can demonstrate that then you should be able to find a place. The easiest way to demonstrate a basic knowledge of physics is to graduate from an undergraduate programme.

If this is what you want then you should do a physics degree from the onset, but be careful. Architecture offers good career prospects, physics doesn't in my opinion, at least not for most people.

It's not really about who we are or what we do, the point is to do something and to do it well.

My suggestion is to seek out a physics GRE practice test (they're online) and see how well you do.

Likes CalcNerd
samya__ said:
Hello, I'm an undergraduate student at Cairo University and I'm about to start studying Architecture this September. I really had no chance to choose to study Physics at an undergrad level. My question is whether it is possible in the US or in Europe to do a masters degree in physics without having a bachelor degree in it. Knowing I have always wanted to become a physicist and do research. I know that at least I should have some kind of background in quantum mechanics and other higher-level topics in physics if I want an MSc, so what is really the best I can do if I want to self-study Physics without affecting a degree much, noting that an architecture major is known to be really time-consuming.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/
Zz.

samya__ said:
Hello, I'm an undergraduate student at Cairo University and I'm about to start studying Architecture this September. I really had no chance to choose to study Physics at an undergrad level.
Why? Why completely waste 4 years on something won't help you? I guess it is good you aren't locked into med school, since that's a waste of even more time and money.

IMO, your best bet is to do whatever you can to shorten this 4 year detour. If that means not going to that college and instead working on bolstering your credentials to get into a physics undergrad program, a year spent doing that still saves you 3 years vs your current path (given that skipping the physics undergrad isn't actually an option).

1. Can I pursue a Masters in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in Architecture?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in Architecture. However, you may need to take some additional courses to meet the prerequisites for the program.

2. Will my Bachelor's degree in Architecture be considered relevant for a Masters in Physics program?

While a background in Architecture may not directly relate to Physics, it can still be considered relevant as it demonstrates your ability to think critically and creatively, which are important skills for a career in Physics.

3. Do I need a strong background in Math to pursue a Masters in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in Architecture?

Having a strong foundation in Math is important for a Masters in Physics program, but it is not a requirement to have a degree in Math. As long as you have completed the necessary Math courses as part of your Bachelor's degree, you should be able to pursue a Masters in Physics.

4. Will I need to take any additional courses before starting a Masters in Physics program with a Bachelor's degree in Architecture?

This will depend on the specific program and university you are applying to. Some programs may require you to take additional courses in Physics or Math, while others may allow you to start the program with your current Bachelor's degree.

5. Can I switch from a career in Architecture to a career in Physics with a Masters degree?

Yes, a Masters in Physics can open up opportunities for a career in various fields such as research, teaching, or industry. However, it is important to note that you may need to gain additional experience or take on additional courses to make the transition successfully.