Can you explain how time is not constant?

• Thread starter yoyopizza
  • Start date
Nugatory
Mentor
Just this: All of the physics you can do is consistent and makes sense if you adopt the traveler's IRF. The decision to use your own rest frame is a decision and not a measurement.
The decision to use my rest frame to assign coordinates and do calculations is indeed a decision not a measurement, no argument there. But I also needed two coordinate-independent frame-independent physical events (light from his clock hit my eyes at the moment that the hands of my wristwatch pointed to zero; light from his clock hit my eyes at the moment that the hands of my wristwatch pointed to six) and these I think have to qualify as "observations" or "detections".

Hence my disagreement with your disagreement with DaleSpam; in science we're doing both detection/observation and calculation/interpretation.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This thread has gone seriously off-topic and, my guess, beyond the comprehension of the OP. He/she asked a very simple question on the origin of time dilation, which is a common topic in intro physics. The responses (and the responders) should have confined the explanation to that level of sophistication and simplicity.

I will remind everyone again that, while you have noble intention to help, please pay attention to the level of understanding of the person you are trying to help. It isn't about you, it is about the person who is asking the question. Spend a bit of effort in finding out what he/she can understand, and go from there.

The OP may contact me if he/she still has followup questions to this and wishes to reopen this thread.

Zz.