Will Smith "Voted" Top Moneymaking Movie Star 2008: Does it Make Sense?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, Will Smith was voted the top moneymaking movie star in 2008 by theater owners. Hancock and Seven Pounds together grossed $267 million, but The Dark Knight grossed $530 million. Iron Man $318 million, and Indiana Jones $317 million were also successful that year.
russ_watters
Mentor
Can you explain to me...

How Will Smith was "voted" (?) the top moneymaking movie star in 2008 by theater owners? http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-01-02-smith-top-moneymaker_N.htm

He had two movies out, Hancock and Seven Pounds, which together grossed $267 million. But The Dark Knight grossed $530 (!) million, Iron Man $318 million, and Indiana Jones $317 million. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

I'm a big fan of Will Smith, but this is just weird.

Physics news on Phys.org

It could include DVD/TV sales?
Anyway according to Hollywood the other movies made a loss.

I believe he is one of the top, if not the top, box office draw in movies.

I mentioned in the Weekend Fix that Will Smith was without a doubt, the biggest box office star around (unlike Terrence Howard). For the last 12 years, Smith has not made a single bad move in his career choices. Since his breakout in 1995's Bad Boys, he has starred in huge movie after huge movie, including ten $100+ million successes. Here's an overview of his phenomenal career:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-01-02-smith-top-moneymaker_N.htm

If the requirement was for top box office sales for a single star in 2008, I agree. If it's just an opinion poll among theatre owners, and the award isn't restricted to only movies released in 2008, I could see it.

Last edited:

I suppose if you are voting on bankable stars that makes sense.
Batman/Ironman weren't successes because of the star, where as having Wil Smith in a movie guarnatees you make money

russ_watters said:
How Will Smith was "voted" (?) the top moneymaking movie star in 2008 by theater owners? http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-01-02-smith-top-moneymaker_N.htm

He had two movies out, Hancock and Seven Pounds, which together grossed $267 million.
Hancock wouldn't have grossed even 2-mil if it didn't have WS in it! That's the reason - he can get good money out of a lousy movie.

Last edited:

Probably because Will Smith is pure money in all aspects of life. By money i mean solid, and by solid i mean an all around great guy.
So either 1 of 2 things (or both, OR J) can explain that above statement:
1.) Will Smith is Christ
2.) Will Smith is the second coming of Christ
J.)The guy is a triple threat, wholesome rapper who represents south Philly and respects his elders, great actor, had a solid cube cut in fresh prince of bell air.

Yeah, I like Will Smith's movies except "Legend of Bagger Vance" and "Wild Wild West".

What makes Will Smith a top moneymaking movie star?

Will Smith's success as a top moneymaking movie star can be attributed to a combination of factors, including his talent as an actor, his ability to choose popular and successful films, and his strong screen presence that resonates with audiences.

How much money did Will Smith earn in 2008?

In 2008, Will Smith earned a total of $80 million, making him the highest-paid actor in Hollywood that year.

What movies contributed to Will Smith's success in 2008?

Will Smith's success in 2008 can be attributed to the box office success of his films Hancock and Seven Pounds, which collectively grossed over $600 million worldwide.

How does Will Smith's success compare to other actors?

In 2008, Will Smith was the highest-earning actor in Hollywood, surpassing other popular actors such as Johnny Depp, Ben Stiller, and Tom Cruise. However, his success may vary from year to year.

Does Will Smith's success in 2008 make sense?

Yes, Will Smith's success in 2008 is a result of his talent, hard work, and strategic film choices, which have consistently proven to be successful in the past. Additionally, his popularity and appeal to audiences also contribute to his success as a top moneymaking movie star.

Back