Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you explain to me

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Can you explain to me....

How Will Smith was "voted" (?) the top moneymaking movie star in 2008 by theater owners? http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-01-02-smith-top-moneymaker_N.htm

He had two movies out, Hancock and Seven Pounds, which together grossed $267 million. But The Dark Knight grossed $530 (!) million, Iron Man $318 million, and Indiana Jones $317 million. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

I'm a big fan of Will Smith, but this is just weird.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Can you explain to me....

It could include DVD/TV sales?
    Anyway according to Hollywood the other movies made a loss.

4. Jan 2, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I believe he is one of the top, if not the top, box office draw in movies.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-01-02-smith-top-moneymaker_N.htm

If the requirement was for top box office sales for a single star in 2008, I agree. If it's just an opinion poll among theatre owners, and the award isn't restricted to only movies released in 2008, I could see it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  5. Jan 2, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suppose if you are voting on bankable stars that makes sense.
    Batman/Ironman weren't successes because of the star, where as having Wil Smith in a movie guarnatees you make money

6. Jan 2, 2009 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hancock wouldn't have grossed even 2-mil if it didn't have WS in it! That's the reason - he can get good money out of a lousy movie.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  7. Jan 2, 2009 #6

Probably because Will Smith is pure money in all aspects of life. By money i mean solid, and by solid i mean an all around great guy.
    So either 1 of 2 things (or both, OR J) can explain that above statement:
    1.) Will Smith is Christ
    2.) Will Smith is the second coming of Christ
    J.)The guy is a triple threat, wholesome rapper who represents south Philly and respects his elders, great actor, had a solid cube cut in fresh prince of bell air.

8. Jan 2, 2009 #7

RunSwimSurf

Gold Member

Yeah, I like Will Smith's movies except "Legend of Bagger Vance" and "Wild Wild West".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?