1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you find an image and nullspace of a nonsquare matrices? running into problems!

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone...
    I have the following matrix:
    A =
    -1 -4 1
    7 -9 0
    10 3 -3
    -9 1 2

I can't row reduce this sucker! This isn't an agumented matrix i don't think, so i can't just take the square matrix and then find the inverse and mutliply it by vector b to find the values of a, b, c, d; So because i can't do this, i'm getting suck on figuring out the Nullspace and image space. What is the procedure to find the null and image space of a matrix that isn't nxn?

I'm trying to check it with maple ( a math program ) to see if there but i created the matrix, did all that good stuff now typed in Nullspace(A) mod P; what mod am i suppose to use, they didn't explain that part. But i'd rather have an explanation than a program doing it for me. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why can't you row reduce it? Just use Gaussian elimination. This matrix can be reduced to Jordan-form in 2 steps.

4. Nov 17, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or you can just think of the null space as (x,y,z) satisfying
    x- 4y+ z= 0
    7x-9y= 0
    10x+ 3y- 3z= 0
    -9x+ y+ 2z= 0

What x, y, z satisfy all four of those?

5. Nov 17, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The procedure to find the image and nullspace of a nonsquare matrix should be exactly the same as for a square matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?