Can you grind peanuts without releasing oil? Curious about how plants store oil

In summary, peanuts do not have oil separation naturally. The oil is held in by the microstructure of the peanut, specifically the protein bodies, cell junctions, and cytoplasmic network. Heating causes these structures to break down, and cooking in oil causes a greater rate of breakdown. Chopping peanuts physically breaks these structures and can result in oil release, with the amount of oil released being roughly proportionate to the surface area of the chopped particles.
pa5tabear
I know that some peanut doesn't have oil separation, but this is due to emulsifier chemicals that are added. I'm wondering what causes the oil to be released. I assume the storage structure is ruptured, and the oil molecules are consequently released.

What exactly is a peanut? It's not a single cell, is it? And what sort of structure would hold the oils in?

Would it be possible to grind it to a powder without any sort of oil release? What would make it possible to do so with other seeds?

Biology news on Phys.org
And no, you cannot grind peanuts without releasing oil. My wife buys fresh-ground peanut butter (no salt or added oils) from the local health-food store so that I can coat pills with it to get Duke to take his pills. That peanut butter actually has to be mixed to stir the oils back in. Duke loves it. It's just ground peanuts - nothing else.

turbo said:
And no, you cannot grind peanuts without releasing oil. My wife buys fresh-ground peanut butter (no salt or added oils) from the local health-food store so that I can coat pills with it to get Duke to take his pills. That peanut butter actually has to be mixed to stir the oils back in. Duke loves it. It's just ground peanuts - nothing else.

Heheh yes, my dog also loves his peanut butter.

As far as grinding goes, I don't think it's impossible. I put chopped peanuts on my pad thai and there is no oil release. Could I not just chop them 10x as finely? 100x?

I scanned through the PDF. It looks at the effects of oil cooking and oven cooking (both at 160 °C) on protein bodies, cell junctions, and the cytoplasmic network. It seems like in all cases, these structures are broken down, and more heating = more break down. Heating in oil caused a greater rate of break down (this makes sense because of the greater heat capacity of oil vs. oven air).

They didn't talk about fat storage. Breakdown of all of the bodies they examined would probably release oils. If you're chopping peanuts, you're physically breaking these cellular structures at least a little bit. I still don't know the limit of how finely you could chop without significant oil release, though.

My guess is that the amount of oil released is roughly proportionate to the surface area of the "chopped particles", so 100x more fineness of chopping would result in perhaps 1.5^100 the amount of surface area (the surface area increase would depend on geometry, but I'm thinking chopping a particle in half might increase surface area for that mass by a factor of 1.5).

1. Can peanuts be ground without releasing oil?

Yes, peanuts can be ground without releasing oil if they are ground using a dry method. This involves grinding the peanuts in a food processor or blender without adding any additional liquid.

2. How is oil stored in peanuts?

Oil is stored in peanuts in small, membrane-bound structures called oil bodies. These oil bodies are found in the peanut's cotyledons, which are the two halves of the peanut seed.

3. What is the purpose of storing oil in peanuts?

The oil stored in peanuts serves as an energy source for the developing plant embryo. It also helps to provide nutrients for the sprouting seedling.

4. Can the oil in peanuts be removed completely?

No, it is not possible to remove all of the oil from peanuts. However, using a dry grinding method can help to minimize the amount of oil released during grinding.

5. Does the oil content in peanuts vary between different varieties?

Yes, the oil content in peanuts can vary between different varieties. Some varieties, such as Spanish peanuts, have a higher oil content compared to others like Virginia peanuts. This can also vary based on growing conditions and harvesting methods.