1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you guys help me with a physics question?

1. Nov 9, 2003 #1
    Can you guys help me with a physics question? What theories, laws, forumlas, equations, etc. can be used to prove and predict an object's motion? Can you guys please include an example also? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2003 #2
    A good place to start would be a google search for "Newton's Laws of Motion".

4. Nov 10, 2003 #3
    What theories, laws, forumlas, equations, etc. can be used to prove and predict an object's motion?

At this level is convenient to classify "objects" as:
    Particles; Rigid bodies; and other("loose")"systems of particles".

We will, for simplicity, assume the "object" to be a particle.

Newtons laws will give you the acceleration of a particle, GIVEN the mass of the particle and all the forces acting on the particle.

The forces acting on a particle depend on (1) the properties of our particle and (2) the objects "around" our particle,their properties, and their distances from our particle.
    If these (1) and (2) are available,the force on our particle can be obtained from the set of "FORCE LAWS", partly listed below:
    The Gravitational Force Law
    The Electrostatic Force Law
    The Friction Force Laws
    The Tension Force Laws

Once you get the acceleration of a particle,knowing its INITIAL velocity, you can find the velocity at any subsequent instant of time

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?