1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you help me choose my maths options?

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    I am studying Discrete Mathematics and if I do a PhD I would like to base the research on or around quantum computation. Unfortunately I can't take any physics modules at all, so please ignore the physics modules on the pages; I can only pick from the maths modules.

-----------------------------------------------

Modules for 2nd year:
    pick a maximum of 5 from these
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year2

1. Algebra I: Advanced linear algebra
    2. Combinatorial Optimization

the above two modules are determined already, so please ignore them.

------------------------------------------------

Modules for 3rd year:
    pick a maximum of 6 from these
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year3/

this can be anything from maths.

------------------------------------------------

And just a side question:

am I even allowed to study quantum computation post degree? I thought for masters/PhD study they train you (within reason), and apparently you only need a basic understanding of quantum mechanics to work within quantum computation... so it's not as if I need a WHOLE physics degree or WHOLE mathematics degree; besides, my degree is effectively 60-70% mathematics, the rest is 'mathematical' CS.

Thanks guys, I'm just trying to get some ideas with regards to what modules I should take. I will not take any of your words as gospel so you do not have to carry the burden of deciding my future career :).

EDIT: and as you can obviously tell, I do not know much about the mathematics behind quantum computation.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted