Properties of δ(y): Understanding and Applying the Rules | Learn with Ease!

• Thread starter deah
  • Start date
In summary: There must be a typo in (b); note also the typo in (g).First you have to choose a sequence of functions to work with whose limit is the dirac delta. For instance the sequencey(x,n) = n^2 x + n for -1/n < x < 0 < 1/n -n^2 x + n for 0 < x < 1/n 0 otherwiseThen delta(x) = lim(y(x,n),n->infinity)Use this sequence to prove the properties.
deah
please help me how to
Establish the ff. properties of δ(y).

(a) δ(y) = δ(-y)
(b) δ(y) = δ'(y)
(c) yδ(y)= 0
(d) δ(ay)= 1/a δ(y)
(e) δ(y²-a²) = [1/(2a)] [δ(y-a)+δ(y+a)]
(g) δ(y) δ(y-a) = f(a) δ(y-a)
(h) yδ'(y) = -δ(y)

thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work for this sort of question and should, in future, post in the homework and coursework questions forum.

What are you denoting by delta? Do you have a definition to work from?

I may be wrong, but according to a) and b) the only possibility is [tex]\delta (y) = 0[/tex]. (Which is consistent with c-h).

nicktacik said:
I may be wrong, but according to a) and b) the only possibility is [tex]\delta (y) = 0[/tex]. (Which is consistent with c-h).

No, [itex]\delta[/itex] is the Dirac delta "function" (distribution, actually), and this thread is in the wrong forum. It should be in either Advanced Physics or Calculus & Beyond, depending on the course for which deah received this as an assigned question.

deah, how would you start a demsonstration of any of these properties?

George Jones said:
No, [itex]\delta[/itex] is the Dirac delta "function" (distribution, actually), and this thread is in the wrong forum. It should be in either Advanced Physics or Calculus & Beyond, depending on the course for which deah received this as an assigned question.

deah, how would you start a demsonstration of any of these properties?

I was not aware that [tex]\delta (y) = \delta '(y)[/tex]

nicktacik said:
I was not aware that [tex]\delta (y) = \delta '(y)[/tex]

There must be a typo in (b); note also the typo in (g).

First you have to choose a sequence of functions to work with whose limit is the dirac delta. For instance the sequence

y(x,n) = n^2 x + n for -1/n < x < 0
-n^2 x + n for 0 < x < 1/n
0 otherwise

Then delta(x) = lim(y(x,n),n->infinity)

Use this sequence to prove the properties.

1. What does "help me here" mean?

"Help me here" is a common phrase used to ask for assistance or guidance in a specific situation or task. It is a request for someone to provide support or aid in a particular area.

2. Can you give me some examples of when someone might say "help me here"?

People may use the phrase "help me here" when they are struggling with a problem or task and need someone to provide them with direction or advice. For example, a student may say "help me here" to a teacher when they are having difficulty understanding a concept. Or, a person may say "help me here" to a friend when they are trying to lift a heavy object.

3. Is "help me here" a specific request for a certain type of assistance?

No, "help me here" is a general request for any type of support or aid. The specific type of help needed may vary depending on the situation or task.

4. How can I respond to someone who asks "can you help me here?"

You can respond by asking for more information about the situation or task they need help with. This will allow you to better understand the problem and provide more effective assistance. You can also offer to provide support in any way you can, whether it be through advice, physical help, or emotional support.

5. Is it okay to ask for help in a professional setting when someone says "help me here"?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help in a professional setting. In fact, seeking help and collaboration with colleagues is often encouraged in a scientific setting. It shows that you are willing to learn and work together towards a common goal.