Solve these Geyser and Pendulum Problems with Expert Help!"

• Thread starter Blubla
  • Start date
In summary: Just make sure to always include units in your calculations and final answers for accuracy and clarity. In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems involving the Old Faithful geyser in Yellowstone National Park and a pendulum. The first problem involves finding the velocity at which the water leaves the ground and the second problem involves finding the speed of the pendulum at the lowest point of its swing. The conversation also includes hints and solutions for solving these problems using conservation of energy. The solutions are Vf=28m/s for the first problem and Vf=0.55m/s for the second problem.
Blubla
Hello all,

I have a little problem solving these 2 problems, guess you all can help me because its piece

of cake for you all.

Ok here we go:

1. Old faithful geyser in yellowstone national park shoots water every hour to a height of

40.0m. With what velocity does the water leave the ground?

2. A pendulum with a mass of 1 kg is released from a height of 1.5cm above the height of

its restin position. How fast will the pendulum be moving when it passes thorugh the

lowest point of its swing?

Dunno why when I saw this kind of problem(like number 1) ,only giving 1 value, is kinda

to solve for me..

Note: Sorry about my bad english :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
To get detailed help, please show your work and point out where you got stuck.

Hint: Both problems can be solved using conservation of energy.

Errn.. Well, I cannot post any link because I don't have 15 posts nor image because it exceeds the

required size.

I can tell the answers, 1. Vf= 28m/s

2. Vf=0.55m/s

Thats what I have at the moment, is it correct?

Show how you got those answers. (We don't need to see a diagram.)

PE = KE

vf^2= 2mgh/m=2gh

Vf^2=2*40*9.81

Vf^2=784.8

Vf=28.0m/s

----------------

PE = KE

I changed 15cm into m so it will be = 0.15

PE=mgh

PE=1(9,81)(0.15)

PE=1.5

KE=1/2mgv^2

KE= 1/2(1)

KE= 0.5

KE/PE= Vf^2

0.5/1.5=Vf^2

0.3=Vf^2(Apply square root to both side)

0.55=Vf

I got it this way.. tell me if Iam wrong

In the future, try to use a little more descriptive title. Perhaps something that actually pertains to the content of your inquiry.

Ok I will

Your solutions look good to me.

1. Why do people ask for help?

People often ask for help because they are facing a problem or challenge that they are unable to solve on their own. Asking for help can also be a sign of humility and a willingness to learn and grow.

2. How can I effectively ask for help?

When asking for help, it is important to be specific about what you need assistance with. It is also helpful to provide any relevant context or background information. Additionally, showing gratitude and being open to different perspectives can make the request for help more effective.

3. What are the benefits of asking for help?

Asking for help can provide a fresh perspective and new ideas. It can also save time and prevent mistakes by learning from someone who has already faced a similar challenge. Additionally, asking for help can strengthen relationships and build a sense of community.

4. How can I overcome the fear of asking for help?

One way to overcome the fear of asking for help is to remind yourself that it is okay to not know everything and that asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. It can also be helpful to practice asking for help in smaller, less intimidating situations and to build a support network of people you trust.

5. Can asking for help be a sign of incompetence?

No, asking for help is not a sign of incompetence. In fact, it shows a willingness to learn and improve. Everyone needs help at some point in their lives, and asking for assistance can often lead to personal and professional growth.