Need help balancing this chemical equation?

• Thread starter donniemsb_12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the given equation is Ag2S + HNO2 -> Ag2SO4 + NO2 + H2O. It cannot be balanced with HNO2 and there may be a mistake as it should probably be HNO3 instead. The reaction may also be a dehydration reaction and it should be checked if the silver compounds are correct. The given equation was answered correctly during class.
donniemsb_12
Ag(subscript of 2)S + HNO(subscript of 2) -> Ag(subs.2)SO(subs.4) + NO(subs.2) +H(subs2)O

TNX! PO!

Physics news on Phys.org
So, Ag2S + HNO2 -> Ag2SO4 + NO2 + H2O ?

What's being oxidised? What's being reduced? What stays the same?

In the future, you'll want to ask homework questions under
Physicsforums -> Science Education -> Homework & Coursework

There is probably a mistake on your products side. Instead of HNO2, it's probably HNO3, nitric acid. The equation cannot balance with HNO2.

To find your coefficients:

Count and mark the number of elements on each side of the reaction.
Looking at your oxygens should get you the solution quickly.

Wait, this kind of looks like a dehydration reaction. Make sure about your silver compounds too.

Last edited:
fedaykin said:
There is probably a mistake on your products side. Instead of HNO2, it's probably HNO3, nitric acid. The equation cannot balance with HNO2.

You mean reagents side, don't you?

Indeed I did, my apologies.

my given is correct . and we answer it in while we were on our class :)

donniemsb_12 said:
my given is correct . and we answer it in while we were on our class :)

So, what is the answer then?

1. How do you balance an object?

To balance an object, you must distribute its weight evenly. This can be achieved by positioning the object's center of gravity directly above its base of support.

2. What factors affect an object's balance?

An object's balance can be affected by its weight, shape, and distribution of mass. The surface it is placed on and any external forces acting upon it can also affect its balance.

3. Can you explain the concept of center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point where an object's weight is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also the point where an object will balance perfectly if supported at that point.

4. How can I improve my balancing skills?

Balancing skills can be improved through practice and by developing a strong sense of body awareness. Exercises that focus on core strength and stability can also help improve balancing abilities.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can help with balancing?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can assist with balancing, such as using a level or plumb line to determine the center of gravity, or using counterweights to balance an object. Balancing aids, such as balance boards or stability balls, can also help improve balance skills.