Can you help me find the current through the 15 Ohm resistor branch?

In summary: The greater the resistance, the lesser the current. In simpler terms, the higher the resistance, the less current will flow through it.
Helly123

Homework Statement

jkx0yv.jpg

Homework Equations

I = VR
Series = current the same, voltage different
Parallel = current different, voltage the same

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the 1 ohm and 15 ohm parallel? I'm still learning to differentiate it.
If yes, then R = 15/16 ohm
Is the R series to 5ohm? If yes, R total become 95/16 ohm
I = 10 / (95/16) = 160/95 A = 1,68A

For Current in resistor 15 = 15/16 x 1,68 A = 1,58 A

Is it correct?

Attachments

• jkx0yv.jpg
    jkx0yv.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 706
  • jkx0yv.jpg
    jkx0yv.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,610
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Helly123 said:
Is the 1 ohm and 15 ohm parallel? I'm still learning to differentiate it.
If yes, then R = 15/16 ohm
Yes.
Helly123 said:
For Current in resistor 15 = 15/16 x 1,68 A = 1,58 A

Is it correct?
No.

Asymptotic said:
No.

V for 15and1ohm = I.R = 1.68 x 15/16 = 1.57 v
I for 15 = V/R = 1.57 v / 15 ohm = 0.105 A

Helly123 said:
V for 15and1ohm = I.R = 1.68 x 15/16 = 1.57 v
I for 15 = V/R = 1.57 v / 15 ohm = 0.105 A
Yes.
Do you understand, and can you explain why this answer is correct, and the previous answer was wrong?

Likes Helly123
Asymptotic said:
Yes.
Do you understand, and can you explain why this answer is correct, and the previous answer was wrong?
maybe because, the current cannot be calculated according to the fraction of total resistance.

Helly123 said:
maybe because, the current cannot be calculated according to the fraction of total resistance.
It can, but not quite as you did it. Would you expect the larger resistance to have the greater current or the lesser?

Likes Asymptotic and Helly123
haruspex said:
It can, but not quite as you did it. Would you expect the larger resistance to have the greater current or the lesser?
According to formula I = V/R
The greater the resistance the lesser the current.. to be honest, i try to think why the first one is wrong...
the total R for 15 and 1 ohm are 15/16 ohm
And the use the fraction method R1/Rtotal * I total
15/(15/16) * 1.68 A
But its wrong.. why is that..?

Since you've gotten the correct answers, but are not quite sure from whence they've come, allow me to suggest a methodology I call the "fully canonical with integrated smell test" approach.

Step 1: Label everything on the drawing including all the known values.
Step 2: Now begins an iterative procedure of identifying subsets of the overall problem that can be solved, solving them, updating the drawing with this new information, and leveraging each increase in circuit knowledge to solve for the other unknowns.
Step 3: Smell test phase. After all the voltages and currents have been solved for, and the drawing has been marked up with these values, inspect the drawing for obvious inconsistencies. In this example, R2 and R3 are a parallel pair, and by definition R2 and R3 must have the same voltage dropped across them - if they don't, something has gone wrong. In a similar vein, the current through R1 must be the same as total current, voltage across R1 added to voltage across the R2|R3 parallel pair must add up to total voltage, and so on.

CktCalc3.jpg

Doing it this way is a fair amount of work, and isn't as valuable a technique after one gets the hang of how to solve circuits, but is a useful 'sanity check' for beginners.

Attachments

• CktCalc3.jpg
    CktCalc3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,196
Likes Helly123
Helly123 said:
According to formula I = V/R
The greater the resistance the lesser the current.. to be honest, i try to think why the first one is wrong...
the total R for 15 and 1 ohm are 15/16 ohm
And the use the fraction method R1/Rtotal * I total
15/(15/16) * 1.68 A
But its wrong.. why is that..?
I=V(1/R1+1/R2)=V/Rnet
I1=V/R1
I1/I=?/Rnet
Deduce what ? Is.

Asymptotic said:
Since you've gotten the correct answers, but are not quite sure from whence they've come, allow me to suggest a methodology I call the "fully canonical with integrated smell test" approach.

Step 1: Label everything on the drawing including all the known values.
Step 2: Now begins an iterative procedure of identifying subsets of the overall problem that can be solved, solving them, updating the drawing with this new information, and leveraging each increase in circuit knowledge to solve for the other unknowns.
Step 3: Smell test phase. After all the voltages and currents have been solved for, and the drawing has been marked up with these values, inspect the drawing for obvious inconsistencies. In this example, R2 and R3 are a parallel pair, and by definition R2 and R3 must have the same voltage dropped across them - if they don't, something has gone wrong. In a similar vein, the current through R1 must be the same as total current, voltage across R1 added to voltage across the R2|R3 parallel pair must add up to total voltage, and so on.

View attachment 216833

Doing it this way is a fair amount of work, and isn't as valuable a technique after one gets the hang of how to solve circuits, but is a useful 'sanity check' for beginners.
I get it! 15 and 1 are parallel. Fractions used in series circuit , since total R = R1+R2...etc
So, in 15 ohm wire, resistance series to it is only 15 ohm itself, so the fraction is 15/15 instead of 15/(15/16)

haruspex said:
I=V(1/R1+1/R2)=V/Rnet
I1=V/R1
I1/I=?/Rnet
Deduce what ? Is.
Maybe I1 = (Rnet/R1) * I net
Since I and R is inversely propotional

Last edited:
I'm not quite following.
Helly123 said:
15 and 1 are parallel.
Yes, they are.
Helly123 said:
Fractions used in series circuit , since total R = R1+R2...etc
I don't get this. "R = R1+R2...etc" is true for a series circuit, but the values aren't necessarily fractions.
Helly123 said:
So, in 15 ohm wire, resistance series to it is only 15 ohm itself, so the fraction is 15/15 instead of 15/(15/16)
I'm not following this at all.

Asymptotic said:
I'm not quite following.

Yes, they are.

I don't get this. "R = R1+R2...etc" is true for a series circuit, but the values aren't necessarily fractions.
I'm not following this at all.
I missed something.. i meant
I = V * R
Whereas the R is 15ohm

V is the voltage of 1&15 ohm parallel pair.

Helly123 said:
Maybe I1 = (Rnet/R1) * I net
Since I and R is inversely propotional
Right, since V=I1R1=I2R2=InetRnet.
This is the inverse of what you had in post #7.

Likes Asymptotic and Helly123
haruspex said:
Right, since V=I1R1=I2R2=InetRnet.
This is the inverse of what you had in post #7.
Yes, i missed that before. Thanks

What is the current through the 15 Ohm resistor branch?

The current through the 15 Ohm resistor branch can be found using Ohm's Law, where current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, if the voltage across the resistor is known, the current can be calculated by dividing that voltage by 15 Ohms.

How do I calculate the current through the 15 Ohm resistor branch?

To calculate the current through the 15 Ohm resistor branch, you will need to know the voltage across the resistor and the resistance value. Then, simply divide the voltage by 15 Ohms to find the current.

What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance?

The relationship between voltage, current, and resistance is described by Ohm's Law. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

Can you help me find the voltage across the 15 Ohm resistor branch?

Yes, to find the voltage across the 15 Ohm resistor branch, you will need to know the current flowing through it and the resistance value. Then, multiply the current by 15 Ohms to find the voltage.

What factors can affect the current through the 15 Ohm resistor branch?

The current through the 15 Ohm resistor branch can be affected by various factors such as changes in the voltage applied across the circuit, changes in the resistance of the resistor, and the addition or removal of other components in the circuit. Temperature and material properties can also affect the resistance of the resistor and therefore the current through it.