Can you help me with these CONCEPTUAL QUESTIONS

• Thread starter Dmt669
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of a large catapult on a distant asteroid as a propulsion system to move the asteroid closer to Earth. The concept of momentum and impulse is brought up, questioning whether the asteroid would be able to compensate for the change in momentum caused by launching chunks of its mass in the opposite direction. The joking suggestion of using this as an intro physics course for evil geniuses highlights the dangerous implications of such a device.
Dmt669
1. ON a distant asteroid, a large catapult is used to "throw" chunks of stone into space. COuld such a device be used as a propulsion system to move the asteroid closer to earth? (need help in terms of momentum,impulse, and all that)

Physics news on Phys.org
Dmt669 said:
1. ON a distant asteroid, a large catapult is used to "throw" chunks of stone into space. COuld such a device be used as a propulsion system to move the asteroid closer to earth? (need help in terms of momentum,impulse, and all that)
The asteroid must follow the conservation of momenum.
Lets say its moving at a velocity wrt earth.
if you catapult a chunk of the asteroids mass in the opposite direction of earth, then the asteroid is going to have to make up for that change in momentum by changing its velocity towards earth.

CLOSER to the earth?!

What is this, an intro physics course for evil geniuses? :eek:

quasar987 said:
CLOSER to the earth?!

What is this, an intro physics course for evil geniuses? :eek:
:rofl: I saw another problem on here where they were trying to kill a scuba diver by giving him the benz. No wonder crime is on the way up!

What do you mean by "conceptual questions"?

Conceptual questions refer to questions that require a deeper understanding of a particular concept, rather than just memorization or application of facts or formulas. They often involve critical thinking and problem solving skills.

How can I improve my ability to answer conceptual questions?

To improve your ability to answer conceptual questions, it is important to have a strong foundation of knowledge in the subject area. This can be achieved through thorough reading, practice, and discussing concepts with others. Additionally, it can be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and make connections between them.

Can you give an example of a conceptual question?

One example of a conceptual question could be: "What is the underlying principle behind the ideal gas law and how does it relate to the behavior of gases?" This question requires an understanding of the concept of ideal gases and how it is applied in the ideal gas law formula, rather than just knowing the formula itself.

How can I approach answering a conceptual question?

When faced with a conceptual question, it is important to take your time and read the question carefully. Identify any key terms or concepts and try to make connections between them. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or write out equations to visualize the problem. If you are unsure of how to approach the question, don't be afraid to ask for clarification or assistance.

What strategies can I use to tackle complex conceptual questions?

Some strategies that can be helpful for tackling complex conceptual questions include breaking down the question into smaller parts, using diagrams or visual aids to represent the problem, and identifying any patterns or relationships between concepts. It can also be beneficial to practice with similar questions and seek guidance from others, such as teachers or peers.