Solving the Puzzle to Find a GeoCache: Can You Help?

• Thread starter rbradw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a person resting on an incline with a coefficient of static friction and weight. The person is seeking help to find the angle and weight, but is reminded that providing complete solutions is not allowed. The conversation also mentions using a freebody diagram to solve the problem.
rbradw
I'm an avid Geo Cacher (for more info on it visit www.geocaching.com) and I'm trying to solve a problem to find a geo cache. Can anyone help me with it?

A Happy Buddha stops to take a rest while ascending an incline.
As he rests on the incline, the coefficient of static friction (mu) is .70021, which is very near the actual coefficient of friction for rubber shoes on rough wood. The friction force holding him in place is 624 Newton’s. He is just on the verge of slipping down the incline. In fact, if the angle of the incline were just slightly higher, or if the coefficient of friction were slightly less, he would begin to slip. The angle of this incline is AB degrees. The Buddha's weight is XYZ kilograms.
AB =
XYZ =
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Would it not be cheating if we were to give you the answer?

If I knew where to begin I would not be asking for help here. I don't consider this cheating as I know nothing about how to solve this or where to even begin. I have searched the web trying to find an equation to solve it and I have come up empty.

Start with a freebody diagram of the problem.

Your speaking a Greek to me on that one.

If you can't do the freebody diagram, there's really no point in us going further with the 'help'. We'd have to give you the answer.

The steps would be to draw a FBD showing all forces, once you've got that you can resolve for the angle AB and the weight XYZ.

Sorry to be blunt but we're not supposed to give answers to homework/textbook questions.

Give me an equation that I can work with.
And this isn't a homework/textbook question as I've been out of school for 30+ years and all my kids are grown and out of the house.

rbradw said:
Give me an equation that I can work with.

There isn't "an equation". You have to follow the steps above.
And this isn't a homework/textbook question as I've been out of school for 30+ years and all my kids are grown and out of the house.

The rules of PF (emphasis mine):
Homework Help:
On posting questions: Any and all high school and undergraduate homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area--not in blogs, visitor messages, PMs, or the main technical forums. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums. Once your question or problem has been responded to, do not go back and delete (or edit) your original post.

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380

Technically I'm violating the rules by trying to give assistance first.

Start with a freebody diagram: http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2004.web.dir/Jeff_Levison/Freebody diagram.htm

1. What is a geocache?

A geocache is a hidden container, often a waterproof box, that contains items for people to find using GPS coordinates.

2. How do I find a geocache?

To find a geocache, you will need a GPS device or a smartphone with a geocaching app. Use the provided coordinates to navigate to the location and then search the area for the hidden container.

3. How do I solve the puzzle to find a geocache?

The puzzle for each geocache will be different and may require different skills or knowledge. Some puzzles may involve deciphering codes or solving riddles, while others may require physical or mental challenges. You can also try collaborating with other geocachers for help.

4. What should I bring with me when geocaching?

It is recommended to always bring a pen or pencil to sign the logbook inside the geocache. You may also want to bring a small item to leave behind in the geocache as a trade for the items inside. Other helpful items may include a GPS device, a map, and water and snacks for longer expeditions.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for geocaching?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines set by the geocaching community to ensure safety and respect for the environment and others. These include always obtaining permission before placing a geocache, not disturbing the natural surroundings, and leaving the geocache in the same condition or better than you found it. You can find more detailed guidelines on the official geocaching website.