1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you infer the principal quantum number from a wave function of the hydrogen atom?

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    Hi, I am new here. I am a graduate student of department of physics at some university in Korea. If there is any wrong in my english, I will apologize in advance. I am preparing for my qualifying exam that is going to be held on next month.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is very simple as I stated in the title. "Can you infer the principal quantum number from a given wave function of the hydrogen atom?" Not by memorizing but by logical deduction. I think no one can memorize all of the wave functions of the hydrogen atom.

2. Relevant equations
    For example, you are given this wave function [tex]\psi _{nlm} = \frac{1}{{\sqrt {4\pi } }}\left( {\frac{1}{{2a}}} \right)^{3/2} \left( {2 - \frac{r}{a}} \right)e^{ - r/2a} [/tex]
    where[tex]a = \frac{\hbar }{{me^2 }}[/tex]. Of cource, you may know the Hamiltonian that is composed of the kinetic term and the Coulomb potential.
    [tex] H = - \frac{{\hbar ^2 }}{{2m}}\nabla ^2 - \frac{{e^2 }}{r} [/tex]
    The principal quantum number of above wave equation is 2. But how would you infer it?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried this method. I know the energy eigenvalue is given by
    [tex]E_n = - \frac{{e^2 }}{{2a}}\frac{1}{{n^2 }}[/tex]

So, when I carried out the integration to find the energy eigenvalue, I could obtain

[tex]E_n = \iiint {d^3 r\psi _{nlm}^ * \hat H\psi _{nlm} } = - \frac{{e^2 }}{{2a}}\frac{1}{{\left( 2 \right)^2 }}[/tex]
    and therefore I could conclude n=2. But the method took me so long time that it may fail me if I meet this problem in exam time. So if you know any better methods to solve this problem, please let me know. Please enlighten me. Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Can you infer the principal quantum number from a wave function of the hydrogen a

The is one zero-crossing for the given function, at r=2a. So the principle quantum number is 2.

For n=1, there are no zeroes.
    For n=2, there is 1 zero.
    For n=3, there are 2 zeroes.
    etc. etc

(At least, that's the case when L=M=0. It has been awhile since I had this, so nonzero L and M might or might not change the zero-crossing rule.)

4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    Re: Can you infer the principal quantum number from a wave function of the hydrogen a

Yes, you can. There was a similar post about this not too long ago.

You only need to look at the radial wave equation, since by definition it has a term [tex] e^{-r/na} [/tex], where n is the quantum number.

Take a look at equation (11.136) here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=oc...X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA433,M1

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?