1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you integrate a vector?

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1

mad

Hello, I just wanted to know if you can integrate a vector, and if so, how.
    Here is a problem: A charged piece of metal of linear density 2 * 10^-6 * x , between x=2 and x=5.
    I found its charge by integrating.. and it is 21 micro C.

Now that's what I want to know: calculate the electric field at x=0
    I know that [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} d \vec{E} [/tex]

but in my physics book, it says I have to decompose it in [tex] E_x [/tex] or [tex] {E_y}[/tex] and integrate. But since I hate working without vectors, do you think there's a way to integrate without decomposing it in x and y, like something like this..:
    [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} \frac{k dq }{r^2} \vec{u}[/tex] = [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} \frac{k \lambda dx }{x^2} \vec{u}[/tex]

Is there a way to do this? My teacher hasn't started this topic yet, I'm just curious.
    Thanks a lot !

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the direction of the unit vector [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] ?

Daniel.

4. Feb 5, 2005 #3

mad

It is -i , since they ask the electric field at x=0 . Is there a reason you are asking this?

5. Feb 5, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,i wanted to know whether it was constant or not.If it is,then u can take it outta the integral and compute the "scalar" integral (which yields the component of [itex] \vec{E} [/itex] along the direction of [itex] \vec{u} [/itex])...

Daniel.

6. Feb 5, 2005 #5

mad

[tex] k \lambda \vec{i} \int \frac{dx}{x^2} [/tex]

You mean this? We have just started integrals in math., so I may have confused some things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?