How can you integrate a vector without decomposing it in x and y components?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the electric field at x=0 for a charged piece of metal with linear density 2 * 10^-6 * x between x=2 and x=5. The individual asking the question wants to know if there is a way to integrate without decomposing the vector into E_x and E_y components. The expert suggests taking out the unit vector and computing a "scalar" integral. The individual clarifies their understanding and the expert confirms their suggestion.
mad
Hello, I just wanted to know if you can integrate a vector, and if so, how.
Here is a problem: A charged piece of metal of linear density 2 * 10^-6 * x , between x=2 and x=5.
I found its charge by integrating.. and it is 21 micro C.

Now that's what I want to know: calculate the electric field at x=0
I know that [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} d \vec{E} [/tex]

but in my physics book, it says I have to decompose it in [tex] E_x [/tex] or [tex] {E_y}[/tex] and integrate. But since I hate working without vectors, do you think there's a way to integrate without decomposing it in x and y, like something like this..:
[tex] \vec{E} = \int{} \frac{k dq }{r^2} \vec{u}[/tex] = [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} \frac{k \lambda dx }{x^2} \vec{u}[/tex]

Is there a way to do this? My teacher hasn't started this topic yet, I'm just curious.
Thanks a lot !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mad said:
Hello, I just wanted to know if you can integrate a vector, and if so, how.
Here is a problem: A charged piece of metal of linear density 2 * 10^-6 * x , between x=2 and x=5.
I found its charge by integrating.. and it is 21 micro C.

Now that's what I want to know: calculate the electric field at x=0
I know that [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} d \vec{E} [/tex]

but in my physics book, it says I have to decompose it in [tex] E_x [/tex] or [tex] {E_y}[/tex] and integrate. But since I hate working without vectors, do you think there's a way to integrate without decomposing it in x and y, like something like this..:
[tex] \vec{E} = \int{} \frac{k dq \vec{u}}{r^2} [/tex] = [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} \frac{k \lambda dx \vec{u}}{x^2} [/tex]
Is there a way to do this? My teacher hasn't started this topic yet, I'm just curious.
Thanks a lot !

What is the direction of the unit vector [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] ?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
What is the direction of the unit vector [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] ?

Daniel.
It is -i , since they ask the electric field at x=0 . Is there a reason you are asking this?

Yes,i wanted to know whether it was constant or not.If it is,then u can take it outta the integral and compute the "scalar" integral (which yields the component of [itex] \vec{E} [/itex] along the direction of [itex] \vec{u} [/itex])...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Yes,i wanted to know whether it was constant or not.If it is,then u can take it outta the integral and compute the "scalar" integral (which yields the component of [itex] \vec{E} [/itex] along the direction of [itex] \vec{u} [/itex])...

Daniel.
[tex] k \lambda \vec{i} \int \frac{dx}{x^2} [/tex]

You mean this? We have just started integrals in math., so I may have confused some things.

1. Can you explain what it means to integrate a vector?

Integrating a vector means finding the area under the curve of a vector function. This involves taking the integral of each component of the vector separately and then combining them to find the total area.

2. What are the steps for integrating a vector?

The steps for integrating a vector include finding the integral of each component, adding a constant of integration, and combining the components to find the total area under the curve. It is important to consider both the magnitude and direction of the vector when integrating.

3. Can you integrate a vector with respect to a variable other than time?

Yes, vectors can be integrated with respect to any variable. This is often seen in physics, where vectors may be integrated with respect to distance or position.

4. Is there a difference between integrating a vector and integrating a scalar function?

Yes, there is a difference. Integrating a vector involves integrating each component separately and then combining them, while integrating a scalar function only involves finding the integral of the function itself.

5. Can you explain the significance of integrating a vector in real-world applications?

Integrating a vector is important in many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It allows us to calculate important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration from vector functions. It also helps us understand the motion and behavior of complex systems.