Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Can you integrate a vector?

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1

mad

Hello, I just wanted to know if you can integrate a vector, and if so, how.
    Here is a problem: A charged piece of metal of linear density 2 * 10^-6 * x , between x=2 and x=5.
    I found its charge by integrating.. and it is 21 micro C.

Now that's what I want to know: calculate the electric field at x=0
    I know that [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} d \vec{E} [/tex]

but in my physics book, it says I have to decompose it in [tex] E_x [/tex] or [tex] {E_y}[/tex] and integrate. But since I hate working without vectors, do you think there's a way to integrate without decomposing it in x and y, like something like this..:
    [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} \frac{k dq }{r^2} \vec{u}[/tex] = [tex] \vec{E} = \int{} \frac{k \lambda dx }{x^2} \vec{u}[/tex]

Is there a way to do this? My teacher hasn't started this topic yet, I'm just curious.
    Thanks a lot !

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the direction of the unit vector [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] ?

Daniel.

4. Feb 5, 2005 #3

mad

It is -i , since they ask the electric field at x=0 . Is there a reason you are asking this?

5. Feb 5, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,i wanted to know whether it was constant or not.If it is,then u can take it outta the integral and compute the "scalar" integral (which yields the component of [itex] \vec{E} [/itex] along the direction of [itex] \vec{u} [/itex])...

Daniel.

6. Feb 5, 2005 #5

mad

[tex] k \lambda \vec{i} \int \frac{dx}{x^2} [/tex]

You mean this? We have just started integrals in math., so I may have confused some things.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook