Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you make a reasonable argument against reason?

1. Nov 1, 2005 #1
    Can you make a reasonable argument against reason?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2005 #2
    Is this some sort of zen riddle? How does one make a "reasonable" argument agianst "reason"? lol
  4. Nov 1, 2005 #3
    against reason in general or a certain "logical" belief?
  5. Nov 1, 2005 #4
    How about this:

“It is not the case that this sentence is true.”

Is this sentence true or not? And what implications does this have for the law of the excluded middle?
  6. Nov 3, 2005 #5
    hehe, I like it.

You may ask, what do I mean by this? expecting a reasonable answer from me, when the idea I'm presenting is concerned with reason being not entirely "reasonable".

I was thinking along the lines of reason being in the eye of the beholder. For example, suppose I reason things through perfectly and conclude that I should kill myself? (sorry to sound harsh, but just for the sake of this conversation).

I suppose I'm also concerned with morality, in that not all things can be reasoned through, and therefore not all things that must be done are reasonable. If not all things that are neccesary are reasonable, then reason isn't always neccesary. (Here I am trying to provide a reasonable argument against reason, when I don't think it's possible)

I do think that an unreasonable argument can be made against reason, and that it can be necessary, it may not make sense, but thats the point, it can't if it's trying to argue against reason.
  7. Nov 3, 2005 #6
    what do you mean by "against reason"?
  8. Nov 3, 2005 #7
    U mean giving reason illogically??
  9. Nov 5, 2005 #8
    I don't even know what I mean. I just get a feeling that humans have had to do irrational things in order to survive. I suppose everythng is rational within some particular scale.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?