Can you make a reasonable argument against reason?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of making a reasonable argument against reason and whether it is possible. The idea of reason being subjective and not always necessary is also brought up. Some argue that an unreasonable argument can be made against reason, while others question the meaning of "against reason." The conversation also touches on the idea that humans may sometimes have to act irrationally in order to survive.
Jonny_trigonometry

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this some sort of zen riddle? How does one make a "reasonable" argument agianst "reason"? lol

against reason in general or a certain "logical" belief?

Jonny_trigonometry said:

How about this:

“It is not the case that this sentence is true.”

Is this sentence true or not? And what implications does this have for the law of the excluded middle?

hehe, I like it.

You may ask, what do I mean by this? expecting a reasonable answer from me, when the idea I'm presenting is concerned with reason being not entirely "reasonable".

I was thinking along the lines of reason being in the eye of the beholder. For example, suppose I reason things through perfectly and conclude that I should kill myself? (sorry to sound harsh, but just for the sake of this conversation).

I suppose I'm also concerned with morality, in that not all things can be reasoned through, and therefore not all things that must be done are reasonable. If not all things that are neccesary are reasonable, then reason isn't always neccesary. (Here I am trying to provide a reasonable argument against reason, when I don't think it's possible)

I do think that an unreasonable argument can be made against reason, and that it can be necessary, it may not make sense, but that's the point, it can't if it's trying to argue against reason.

what do you mean by "against reason"?

U mean giving reason illogically??

I don't even know what I mean. I just get a feeling that humans have had to do irrational things in order to survive. I suppose everythng is rational within some particular scale.

1. What is the purpose of making an argument against reason?

The purpose of making an argument against reason is to challenge and critically examine the idea of reason itself. By questioning its validity and limitations, we can gain a deeper understanding of its role in our lives and its potential flaws.

2. Is it possible to make a reasonable argument against reason?

Yes, it is possible to make a reasonable argument against reason. Reason is not infallible and can be subject to cognitive biases and limitations. By acknowledging these potential flaws, we can make a reasonable argument against reason.

3. What are some common arguments against reason?

Some common arguments against reason include the idea that reason is limited by our personal biases and experiences, that it cannot fully capture the complexity of human emotions and experiences, and that it is only one aspect of understanding the world.

4. How does questioning reason benefit us as scientists?

Questioning reason can benefit us as scientists by helping us to critically examine our own biases and assumptions, and to be open to alternative perspectives and ways of thinking. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in our fields of study.

5. Does making an argument against reason mean that we should abandon reason altogether?

No, making an argument against reason does not mean that we should abandon reason altogether. It simply means that we should be aware of its limitations and use it in conjunction with other forms of thinking and understanding to gain a more complete picture of the world.