Can you pass the smile test?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, Ivan Seeking was determined not to smile during the smile test, but started to smile when pictures 2 and 3 made him laugh.
Janus said:
I must be an old sour puss, I got through the whole bunch without cracking a smile.:grumpy:

Same here...

Edit: Oh boy, I just noticed how old this thread is. :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
I am glad this thread got bumped for us newer members. Picture 1 got me.

I guess I'm not as manly as I thought I was.

Sure I can do it. If i frown hard on purpose and scroll really fast. : P

I've seen them elsewhere about a hundred times so I'm pretty desensitized.
Here's another one for a surprise attack though.
1241072296472.jpg

I didn't answer this the first time around (it might, in fact, have been before I joined PF). I don't like dogs, but #2 got me instantly.
Nice new pic, Stats.

#2 :d

None of those aminals made me smile. I did smile when I saw IvanSeeking's signature in his original post. How did he predict "I quit - Sarah Palin", in year 2005?

jobyts said:
None of those aminals made me smile. I did smile when I saw IvanSeeking's signature in his original post. How did he predict "I quit - Sarah Palin", in year 2005?

I'm not sure but it was one of two things: Either I checked with an astrologer, or my current signature is what you see in all posts, no matter how old they are.

Being on dial-up, I scrolled down not knowing there were pictures coming. No smiles until I got to ...
Sarah Palin is the most prominent and articulate voice for American conservatism.
:rofl:

jobyts said:

:rofl:

Okay, I laughed.

And yes, the initial pictures made me smile too.

Danger said:
I didn't answer this the first time around (it might, in fact, have been before I joined PF). I don't like dogs, but #2 got me instantly.
Nice new pic, Stats.

Boy, am I embarrassed... :blushing:
I just read through the thread and realized that I did answer the first time around. I must be getting soft in my old age, because I made it all of the way through the first time, and only to #2 this time. Maybe it's because my effort to quit drinking is taking effect; I'm down from 25 to 15 beers a day. That seems to be having some peculiar psychological effects.

I didnt smile throughout the original test, but honestly that new photo with the kitten and the yarn got me :)

I didn't smile at any of them.

I laughed at the first one, does that count as smiling?

TheStatutoryApe said:
I've seen them elsewhere about a hundred times so I'm pretty desensitized.
Here's another one for a surprise attack though.
1241072296472.jpg

That one got a big AWWWWWWWWWW from me. It's Ember's fault...she's sensitized me to kitty pictures. :tongue:

OK what is he doing, putting the shamrock into it?!? Lol...

It's a Wii owners manual, in case you didn't catch that, and yeah... I don't know why that would make it in there... but it definitely gets a chuckle.

cat.jpg

Not smiling, not smiling, not smiling!

I lost it on the last one. :)

I made it through without smiling, but the "Dangerous Smile" posted in one of the replies got me.

I laughed/smiled at when I saw the first set of "..." Guess I had no hope of getting through it all. :P

hypatia said:
I failed right from the start, I'm hopeless!

same here

http://gobblegreen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/smile-kitten-large.jpg

I find the word "smile" itself is somewhat provocative.

And the results of the test can depend on the initial mood of the subject.

Personnally, I started smiling at the many successive dots "..."

drizzle said:
cat.jpg

Not smiling, not smiling, not smiling!

dog_smile.jpg

Ivan Seeking said:
dog_smile.jpg

funny-picture-cat.jpg

:biggrin:

[URL]http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/10613/10613.jpg[/URL]

just-jokin-cat.jpg

[URL]http://www.furrytalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/cats_64.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
animal-smiles-01.jpg

image0138.jpg

I died laughing... horrible of me... don't even know how I wrote this post!
(Hey! that i did on the last one so maybe not that horrible of me!)

I hate dogs so this made me angry.

Mu naught said:
I hate dogs so this made me angry.

Why? Were you attacked by a dog once?

<h2>1. What is the smile test?</h2><p>The smile test is a psychological assessment tool used to measure a person's level of happiness or contentment. It involves asking someone to smile and observing their facial expression and body language to determine their emotional state.</p><h2>2. How do you pass the smile test?</h2><p>To pass the smile test, you simply need to smile genuinely. This means using the muscles around your mouth and eyes to create a natural smile, rather than a forced or fake one. It's also important to maintain a relaxed and open posture to convey a positive and friendly attitude.</p><h2>3. What does it mean if you fail the smile test?</h2><p>If you fail the smile test, it may indicate that you are not feeling happy or content at the moment. It could also suggest that you have difficulty expressing positive emotions or that you are not comfortable with the situation or person you are interacting with. However, it's important to note that the smile test is not a definitive measure of someone's overall happiness or well-being.</p><h2>4. Can you train yourself to pass the smile test?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to train yourself to pass the smile test. Smiling is a learned behavior, and with practice, you can improve your ability to smile genuinely and naturally. Additionally, working on your overall emotional well-being and learning to express positive emotions can also help you pass the smile test more easily.</p><h2>5. Is the smile test a reliable indicator of someone's emotional state?</h2><p>While the smile test can provide some insight into a person's emotional state, it is not a foolproof measure. Some people may be able to fake a smile, while others may have difficulty expressing their emotions through facial expressions. It's important to consider other factors and communication cues when trying to understand someone's emotional state.</p>

1. What is the smile test?

The smile test is a psychological assessment tool used to measure a person's level of happiness or contentment. It involves asking someone to smile and observing their facial expression and body language to determine their emotional state.

2. How do you pass the smile test?

To pass the smile test, you simply need to smile genuinely. This means using the muscles around your mouth and eyes to create a natural smile, rather than a forced or fake one. It's also important to maintain a relaxed and open posture to convey a positive and friendly attitude.

3. What does it mean if you fail the smile test?

If you fail the smile test, it may indicate that you are not feeling happy or content at the moment. It could also suggest that you have difficulty expressing positive emotions or that you are not comfortable with the situation or person you are interacting with. However, it's important to note that the smile test is not a definitive measure of someone's overall happiness or well-being.

4. Can you train yourself to pass the smile test?

Yes, it is possible to train yourself to pass the smile test. Smiling is a learned behavior, and with practice, you can improve your ability to smile genuinely and naturally. Additionally, working on your overall emotional well-being and learning to express positive emotions can also help you pass the smile test more easily.

5. Is the smile test a reliable indicator of someone's emotional state?

While the smile test can provide some insight into a person's emotional state, it is not a foolproof measure. Some people may be able to fake a smile, while others may have difficulty expressing their emotions through facial expressions. It's important to consider other factors and communication cues when trying to understand someone's emotional state.