Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you perform CPR

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

A friend of mine is in the Red Cross and told me she had to revive a patient with CPR and i was well impressed. I only have a clue as to how to perform CPR, i know it involves Breathing into the patients mouth and pumping the chest but know nothing of the intricacies of the procedure.
    How many of you know how to perform CPR and how do you do it?.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3

wolram

Gold Member

So you do not have to breath for the victim, what happens if the patient is not breathing?

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A first aid course (including CPR) is mandatory to get a drivers licence in various European countries, companies in some countries have to make sure some fraction of their employees is trained in first aid, and courses are mandatory for various professions.
    And it helps
    I don't know how well I would do it in an actual emergency, but yeah, I can do it.
    Mouth or nose, nose can be easier.
    Some recommend it, some don't. Usually there is quite some oxygen left in the lungs and the blood overall.

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5

Borg

Gold Member

Same here. I've been trained but it's been decades ago.

7. Jan 30, 2016 #6
    I've been to Red Cross first aid training 3 years ago. We tried CPR on figurines representing an adult, child and baby.
    It is recommended that everyone refreshes their first aid knowledge and skills every year or two. It is not enough if you go to a course once. So I guess I will refresh my memories at least by watching some videos.
    There are also some very good android apps for first aid. One of them is by American Red Cross. It may be useful if you are outside and need to help someone ASAP.

8. Jan 30, 2016 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Unless you have a barrier device (like a pocket mask), you should not be giving rescue breaths to strangers. "Hands Only" CPR is approved for lay rescuers by the American Heart Association (AHA):

http://cpr.heart.org/AHAECC/CPRAndECC/Programs/HandsOnlyCPR/UCM_473196_Hands-Only-CPR.jsp

It is good practice to lift the patient's shoulders up a bit off the ground while doing Hands Only CPR, since that tilts their head back some, opening the airway. You can use the patient's shoes, for example, placed under their shoulders to tilt their head back.

9. Jan 30, 2016 #8
    Recognizing stroke FAST

10. Jan 30, 2016 #9
    You should check if there's something in the victim's mouth or throat and then remove the obstacle. If you can't see anything, tilt the person's head backwards which will make breathing easier. Loosen the victim's clothes such as tie or shirt if they are too tight.
    When it comes to heart massage don't be afraid if you accidentally break victim's rib. It happens very often. It's always better to break someone's rib than to let him die.
    The most important rule is not to be afraid. Do ANYTHING to help the person, even if you are not sure what to do. It's better to try to save him than to let him be without any help. I'm not sure about the US but here you cannot be sued for hurting someone when attempting first aid. I think you have similar law in the US called The Good Samaritan Law or similar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook