Can you me with this high school problems? About projectile motion

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a bird's velocity and acceleration. The person has already attempted to solve the question and wants someone to check for any errors. They provide their solution which includes calculating the bird's velocity and acceleration using trigonometric functions. The person also asks about the use of TOA and significant digits. However, it is pointed out that the answer of 85 degrees south of east for the bird's acceleration may not be correct as it would mean the bird is flying south.
lanvin

Homework Statement

I just did this question, and I just want to make sure I did it right... Can u run through it and notify me of any errors?

Homework Equations

Here is the question:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/lanvin12/333-1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what I did...

V(x) = V(bx) - V(ax) = [ (4.4m/s) sin 31° ] - [ (7.8m/s) sin 25° ] = 1.030262m/s

V(y) = V(by) + V(ay) = [ (4.4m/s) cos 31° ] - [ (7.8m/s) cos 25° ] = 10.840736 m/s

V² = V(x)² + V(y)² = 10.8² + 1.03² + 118.5
V = √118.5 = 10.88

A = V / t = 10.88 / 8.55 = 1.28m/s²

tan theta = 10.84 / 1.030 = 10522
theta = tan^(-1) 10.52230 = 84.57°

therefore, the bird's acceleration was 1.3 m/s² [85° S of E]

is that right? Was I supposed to use TOA? Significant digits ok?
Any mistakes...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is right that the average acceleration is 85o S of E. If that is the case, wouldn't the bird be flying south now?

I am happy to help you with your high school problem on projectile motion. It looks like you have made a good attempt at solving the question and your calculations seem mostly correct.

To answer your question, yes, you were correct in using the TOA method to solve the problem. This method is commonly used in projectile motion problems and it looks like you have applied it correctly.

In terms of significant digits, it is always important to follow the rules of significant digits when doing calculations. In this case, since the given velocities have two significant digits, your final answer should also have two significant digits. So the bird's acceleration should be rounded to 1.3 m/s², not 1.28 m/s².

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of projectile motion and have solved the problem correctly. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. Can you explain what projectile motion is?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that involves both horizontal and vertical components, and is commonly seen in activities such as throwing a ball or shooting a projectile.

2. How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion. The horizontal distance traveled can be calculated using the equation d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, and t is the time. The vertical displacement can be calculated using the equation d = vi*t + 1/2 * a * t^2, where vi is the initial vertical velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance. The initial velocity and angle of launch determine the initial velocity components in the horizontal and vertical directions, while air resistance can cause a deviation from the expected trajectory.

4. Can you provide an example of projectile motion in real life?

One example of projectile motion in real life is throwing a ball. When a ball is thrown, it follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity. The horizontal component of its velocity remains constant, while the vertical component changes due to the acceleration of gravity, resulting in a parabolic trajectory.

5. How is projectile motion used in sports?

Projectile motion is used in sports such as baseball, basketball, and golf. In baseball, the trajectory of a thrown ball is important in determining whether it will be a strike or a ball. In basketball, the trajectory of a shot determines whether it will go in the basket or not. In golf, the trajectory of a swing determines the distance and direction of the ball.