Can you predict the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule

In summary: Therefore, the more heat energy you apply to a monatomic molecule at absolute zero, the more its kinetic energy, or in other words, the faster and more random its movements will become.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of molecular movement and the role of heat in causing this movement. The speaker raises questions about the randomness of molecular movements and the underlying forces that contribute to it. They also express frustration with the lack of clear answers on the internet and seek help from others to better understand the topic. Overall, the conversation delves into the complexities of molecular behavior and the limitations of classical physics in explaining it.
dadgum
There are probably reasons I don't understand on why this is not a valid question, and may have made some incorrect assumptions, but...

If single monatomic molecule was at absolute zero then, as I understand it, it would have no kinetic energy - no motion. If heat energy were applied from a known location could you predict the direction of the movement of the molecule? Think of this molecule and heat source as the only two objects in existence, there is nothing else. Also, I suppose, the heat source should be such that it is essentially a point. And, I don't really know what would make the molecule move...photon collisions?

After doing some reading on the internet I have gathered that the movement of molecules in a gas are said to random (Brownian Movement?) and that an increase in temperature corresponds to an increase in their velocities. I guess a more fundamental question is, are the movements really random or just impossible to calculate because of the high number of radiant sources acting on the gas molecules and the ensuing collisions amongst the molecules?

I really don't know what brought this on - I majored in in history (a long time ago) and the only physics class I ever took was in 9th grade. I just sometimes start thinking about how things work and get it reduced down to a level where I have a hard time finding answers (or probably, more correctly understanding). My real question initially was what makes molecules move (as in a gas) Put that into a search on the internet and all you get are thousands of hits that only say that heat (or increase in temperature) is what makes molecules move. To me, this is like saying pressing on the accelerator of a car is what makes it move. Yes, it's true, but how?? What are the fundamental elements that cause the movement - high velocity molecules colliding with the piston, which pushes the piston, transfering motion to crankshaft, to wheels and so on. So I have it reduced that far, but now I strart thinking - so what causes the molecules to move that are colliding with the piston; what are the underlying forces that get the molecule moving in the first place. And this is where I have trouble finding finding answers - searching on the internet can be frustrating. So I joined this forum in the hopes that some of you may be so kind as to help me out and have some patience with my laymen terms and goofs.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the single molecule case, you can "heat" it either radiatively (by chucking photons at it) or conductively (by chucking other molecules at it). Both will cause the molecule to move. Classically speaking, you can predict the motion of the molecule subsequent to this collision (given a knowledge of the position and momentum of the particle before the collision - without questioning how such knowledge was attained), but classical physics fails miserably when it comes to things as small as molecules.

As for the 1001 internet sources that told you that molecules move because they have heat : they are not being entirely accurate (or you are misquoting them). Heat (or internal energy) is simply a label we use to keep track of how much the molecules are moving. The temperature of a body is just the average kinetic energy of its molecules.

I appreciate your curiosity and efforts to understand the fundamental principles behind the movement of molecules. The question of predicting the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule is not a valid one because of the inherent randomness of molecular motion. At absolute zero temperature, molecules would have no kinetic energy and therefore no motion. However, as the temperature increases, the molecules gain kinetic energy and move in a random and chaotic manner.

The movement of molecules in a gas is indeed described by Brownian motion, which is the random movement of particles due to collisions with other particles. This randomness is a result of the high number of particles and collisions in a gas, making it impossible to predict the exact direction of motion of a single molecule.

The increase in temperature corresponds to an increase in the average velocity of the molecules, but it does not dictate the direction of their motion. The movement of molecules is ultimately governed by the laws of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, which describe the behavior of large systems of particles.

As for your question about what causes molecules to move in the first place, it is the result of various forces acting on them. In gases, these forces include collisions with other molecules, intermolecular forces, and external forces (such as heat or pressure). These forces collectively determine the direction and velocity of molecular motion.

I understand that searching for answers on the internet can be frustrating, and I commend you for seeking out a forum like this to ask your questions. I hope my response has helped to clarify some of your doubts, and I encourage you to continue exploring and learning about the fascinating world of science.

1. How do you predict the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule?

The direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule can be predicted using the principles of classical mechanics, specifically using Newton's laws of motion. By understanding the forces acting on the molecule and its initial conditions, we can calculate its trajectory and predict its direction of motion.

2. Can you predict the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule with 100% accuracy?

No, it is not possible to predict the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule with 100% accuracy. This is because there are many factors that can affect the molecule's motion, such as collisions with other molecules and quantum effects. However, predictions can be made with a high level of accuracy using advanced computational techniques.

3. How does temperature affect the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule?

The direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule is directly affected by temperature. As the temperature increases, the molecule's kinetic energy also increases, leading to faster and more erratic motion. This can make it more difficult to predict the molecule's direction of motion accurately.

4. Can the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule change over time?

Yes, the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule can change over time. This is due to the random collisions and interactions with other molecules in its environment, as well as external forces acting on the molecule. Therefore, it is important to continuously monitor and update predictions of the molecule's motion.

5. Are there any limitations to predicting the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule?

Yes, there are limitations to predicting the direction of motion of a single monatomic molecule. As mentioned before, factors such as collisions and quantum effects can make it difficult to predict with 100% accuracy. Additionally, predicting the motion of multiple molecules or in complex environments can also introduce uncertainties and limitations.