Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you provide an example application of the Ricci tensor?

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    Can anyone show me an example of applying the Ricci curvature tensor to something other than GR? I also ask the same for the curvature scalar. Lately I've been trying to truly increase my understanding of curvature, so that I can see exactly how solutions of the EFE's predict the existence and presence of things like wormholes, black holes, and closed timelike curves. While I do quantitatively understand how to derive the curvature, my qualitative understanding of what this curvature truly is and what it actually describes could use some polishing. Perhaps if I see it applied to something else (like something in 3D instead of the 4D of relativity) then maybe I will understand the significance of all the terms of the Ricci tensor, the tensor itself, and the curvature scalar.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In two dimensions, all of these measures of curvature are basically the Gaussian curvature, which has a lot of nice applications. For example, it explains why you can fold a piece of pizza that you're eating to keep it from drooping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook