Can You Read This? 55% of People Can

• Thread starter daveb
  • Start date
In summary: The 55% number is interesting, but I don't think it means anything in and of itself. Spelling is still important, and grammar can be worse than spelling. While it is true that many words have the same letters, there's also a lot of meaning that comes from the order in which the letters are presented.
daveb
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too.
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

I don't know if the 55% is true or not, but it certainly is interesting to note that I could pretty much read it as fast as I read normal text.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen this a couple of time already, but this is the first time I've seen the "55%" part. Speakers in front of an audience of teachers keep bringing this thing up to make anyone of dozen points. I think that this phenomenon is true for anyone who reads beyond "elementary" levels. Try "translating" a paragraph from "proper" literature and you will see how it stops working pretty quickly.

It was studies like this that brought about the "whole language" fiasco creating half a generation that cannot spell.

Spelling (that is, "phonics") is still important since many words have the same first and last letters. As with most things, people operate in a balance between these two camps (sort of an equilibrium between order and entropy--linguists have borrowed some of our words).

Yeah that's really weird man...
Usually with jumbled words it takes me a while to get the actual word, but that read like normal text for some reason.
Interesting though :)

I could actually read it faster than I normally read. The mess forces you to mentally step back and not concentrate so much on each letter.

There's a certain process people go through learning to read, but one of the reasons their reading speed tops out so low is that it's hard to break those habits that helped you learn even after those habits aren't necessary any more.

I'd say the grammar (in the OP's text) is worse than the spelling.

55% sounds quite low to me...I mean if someone with my poor english skills can read it, I'd guess most english speakers should be able to do it too...

I could read it at least as fast as normal text; but then, I'm used to translating Hypatia. :biggrin:

When i get nervous i tend to read things more slowly for some reason...think my brain slows down, and i start focusing on the spelling, and the structure of the word, maybe when I am nervous i need to focus on something to calm down...anyway try reading that sentence when your nervous/under stress maybe? it'll be interesting to see if there's any difference.

daveb said:
fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too.
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

I don't know if the 55% is true or not, but it certainly is interesting to note that I could pretty much read it as fast as I read normal text.

I don't get it why shouldn't I be able to read English? I could yesterday:wink:

1. Can you explain why only 55% of people can read this?

The reason why only 55% of people can read this is because it is written in a specific font called "Dyslexie" which was designed to make reading easier for people with dyslexia. The font uses different weights and spacing to help the brain process letters more easily.

2. Is it possible for someone who is not dyslexic to read this?

Yes, it is possible for someone who is not dyslexic to read this. While the font was designed with dyslexic readers in mind, it can also be easily read by non-dyslexic individuals. The font may even be easier for some people to read than traditional fonts.

3. How accurate is the claim that 55% of people can read this?

The claim that 55% of people can read this is based on a study conducted by the creator of the font, Christian Boer. In the study, 55% of participants were able to read text written in Dyslexie font faster and with fewer errors compared to traditional fonts. However, this percentage may vary depending on the individual and their reading abilities.

4. Can this font be used for all types of reading materials?

Yes, this font can be used for all types of reading materials. It has been used in books, websites, and even on road signs to help make reading easier for people with dyslexia. However, it may not be suitable for all situations and should be used in conjunction with other accessibility measures.

5. Are there any other fonts similar to Dyslexie that can help with reading difficulties?

Yes, there are other fonts similar to Dyslexie that can help with reading difficulties. Some examples include OpenDyslexic, Lexend, and Read Regular. Each of these fonts use different techniques to make reading easier for people with dyslexia, such as varying letter shapes and spacing. It is important to try out different fonts to find the one that works best for each individual.