Can you see the stars?

• Thread starter angel 42
  • Start date
can you see the stars???

hi, can any one of you look and see the stars, for example, can you see the sun???
kind of a puzzle:confused:
lets see what do you think

Answers and Replies

I don't have wireless, so I'm stuck inside, and all I can see through the window is... trees, flowers and grass. Already not that bad actually :smile:

Did they move the stars lately, or why do you inquire ?

We had some bad thunderstorms lately so I doubt I can see anything. I'm not going out to look, but I can't see stars/sun from my window.

Did they move the stars lately, or why do you inquire ?[/QUOTE]

it's a 100% physics talking, there's a point just think

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you trying to figure out whether or not we're aware that the Sun is a star? :rolleyes:

- Warren

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Are you trying to figure out whether or not we're aware that the Sun is a star? :rolleyes:

- Warren

WHAT!!!!!! No, I thought it was a giant Planter's Cheese Puff!!!!!!!:biggrin:

no I'm not, I know as you do that the sun is a star and there are other 10000000... stars, but my Q is when you go out and look at that round sun do you think that you are seeing it really???

lets figuer out who's the cliver here

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think I have that sussed :rolleyes:

Evo
Mentor
no I'm not, I know as you do that the sun is a star and there are other 10000000... stars, but my Q is when you go out and look at that round sun do you think that you are seeing it really???

You're seeing it approx. 8 minutes later.

Last edited:
Yes when I look at the sun I think that I'm really seeing it. Except for the perceived size that's smaller than actual due to the sun being far away. I'm confused :confused:.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think Evo cracked it. It all makes sense now.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
By the definition of "seeing", i.e. your eyes are receiving light from the object and your brain is processing it, you do see the sun.

I am lost at where this is going??:confused:

Evo
Mentor
By the definition of "seeing", i.e. your eyes are receiving light from the object and your brain is processing it, you do see the sun.

I am lost at where this is going??:confused:
When you look at a star, you are seeing the light that it gave off in the past, how long ago depends on the distance. Some stars that we "see" today may no longer exist.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, the theory of relativity abolishes the notion of absolute time. It is meaningless to ask about the state of a distant object "right now," as the concept of "right now" doesn't extend beyond your own frame of reference.

- Warren

my Q is when you go out and look at that round sun do you think that you are seeing it really???
When you put it that way, the answer is definitely yes. When I go out and look at that round sun, I think that I am seeing it really. Do you think am I really looking at that round sun?

You're seeing it approx. 8 minutes later.
bingo, but still missing a part of the correct answer what do you see??

Well, the theory of relativity abolishes the notion of absolute time. It is meaningless to ask about the state of a distant object "right now," as the concept of "right now" doesn't extend beyond your own frame of reference.

- Warren
What if the distant star is stationary in my frame?

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What if the distant star is stationary in my frame?
The Sun is not stationary in your frame.

- Warren

When you put it that way, the answer is definitely yes. When I go out and look at that round sun, I think that I am seeing it really. Do you think am I really looking at that round sun?[/QUOTE]

no I and you aren't looking at it? :wink:

Evo
Mentor
bingo, but still missing a part of the correct answer what do you see??
I see dead people

Light?

no I and you aren't looking at it? :wink:
When I am not looking at the sun, I don't see it.

Last edited:
Light?[/QUOTE]

no, :rolleyes:

Danger
Gold Member
hi, can any one of you look and see the stars, for example, can you see the sun???
I asked my niece, and the answer is an unqualified 'no'. Then again, she's stone blind. :rolleyes:

russ_watters
Mentor
I see dead people
Wow, post 21. That's pathetic, guys.

I wanna know: have you ever seen the rain?