Can you see the stars?

• Thread starter angel 42
  • Start date
glondor
you are seeing the past, you are seeing history. everything we see is what was , not what is. Our processing is not fast enough to see now..only then.

angel 42
hi, you are seeing a ""place"" or position of that star at some time from the past, which you all will agree with that. BUT CAN YOU BELIEVE that this was noted in a book that is 1400 years old????

Evo
Mentor
hi, you are seeing a ""place"" or position of that star at some time from the past, which you all will agree with that. BUT CAN YOU BELIEVE that this was noted in a book that is 1400 years old????
A lot of guesses and sometimes just stories that in hindsight have some truth to them, but it wasn't the result of scientific research, and no, I am not surprised. We just discussed this kind of thing in another thread.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
BUT CAN YOU BELIEVE that this was noted in a book that is 1400 years old????

We were supposed to get this from the original question posted????

hi, can anyone of you look and see the stars, for example, can you see the sun???
kind of a puzzle
lets see what do you think

If we were, how???

out of whack

Are you impressed about this bit of triviality because it is ancient? Dude, here's another one: you see what you're seeing "from another place at another time". Cool, hey? Gosh, this was time well wasted...

russ_watters
Mentor
Have you seen the bridge?

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Have you seen the bridge?

I ain't seen the bridge!

Where's that confounded bridge?:grumpy:

angel 42
at least you do agree that what you see is a postion of the star.....

Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Angel_42, you're not making much sense.

By definition, "seeing" something is sensing light coming ~directly from it. Therefore when you look at the sun you're seeing the sun. You can argue that really you're only seeing photons representing the sun in the past, and this is of course true, but that's true of EVERYTHING you see.

Whatson II
Really now...

This kind of word play is pointless and, no offense intended, the type of thing I heard from my young children.
<flash-back theme>
Son: "Can I see that toy?"
Daughter: (holding the toy in front of her brother) "There you go, you can see it!"
Son: (exasperated) "No, I want to hold it."
Daughter: "You didn't say "hold it, you said "see it"....

If someone has the ability of sight, and the weather and time are right, if you look at the sun, you see it regardless of our distance from it, or its true relative position. Whether you see the sun as it was 8 minutes ago or in some different location is not relevant to the question "Can you see the sun?" They are just modifiers to the object we call the "sun". Let's apply the same standard to a much closer object, say... a car. You and I can be standing side by side as a blue car passes in front of us. I ask, "Did you see that car?" You reply, "Yes." It would be unreasonable for me to say, "No, you saw a Blue car." The fact that sun is 8 light minutes away or that the car was blue did not change the truth that both were observed.

...and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, the only thing I can figure he's looking for is that because of the delay in when you see the light from the sun vs when it was emitted from the sun, when you look in the direction you see the light coming from, it's where the sun WAS when the light was emitted, not it's actual location NOW. It might be a bigger difference for more distant stars, but really fairly inconsequential for the position of the sun relative to wherever you're standing attempting to blind yourself staring at it. :uhh:

Evo
Mentor
I thought this had been locked.

Locked now.

Suggested for: Can you see the stars?

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies