Can you swim in melted dry ice?

In summary: Please be careful. Discharging a fire extinguisher to put out a fire can displace the air in an enclosed area and lead to you to becoming disoriented or unconscious. I see. Thank you for the warning.
photon
If I melt dry ice, can I swim without getting wet?

I'm just curious: What makes dry ice dry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer: if you put enough pressure on dry ice, and then warm it up, it will turn liquid--and it would very definitely get you wet, if your body could stand the pressure.

Dry ice is dry because it contains no water -- it is solid carbon dioxide. It does not melt into a liquid; it sublimates directly into gaseous C02.

- Warren

It is fun stuff! Dry ice expands about 800 times from its solid volume to its gasseous volume at STP. Just another fun fact, the temperature of it is around -109.3 F (-78.5 C).

Check out www.dryiceinfo.com for more info than you probably want.

The density of water is around 62.4 LB/FT³ The link provided by Macgiver says the density of liquid carbon dioxide is 63.69 LB/FT³ and its triple point is -69 Fahrenheit and 75.1 PSIA. So if you put about 5 atmospheres of pressue on it, you can get it to liquify at -69 degrees.

Dry ice is dry because it contains no water -- it is solid carbon dioxide. It does not melt into a liquid; it sublimates directly into gaseous C02.
So is that what all the white gas is that is emitted from dry ice? Just CO2?

Shucks. There goes my plan for world domination. :mad: :biggrin:

Don't give up on the world domination plans just yet -- CO2 is in fact very toxic. :biggrin:

- Warren

Don't give up on the world domination plans just yet -- CO2 is in fact very toxic.
Maybe so, but I'll need a better name for it. Like "Super Killer Inhaling Stuff."

photon said:
Maybe so, but I'll need a better name for it. Like "Super Killer Inhaling Stuff."

Please be careful. Discharging a fire extinguisher to put out a fire can displace the air in an enclosed area and lead to you to becoming disoriented or unconscious.

Do not transport large quantities of dry ice in your car without proper ventilation.

-Mike

1. Can dry ice melt into a liquid form?

Yes, dry ice can melt into a liquid form at a temperature of -109.3°F (-78.5°C). At this temperature, it changes from a solid directly to a gas through a process called sublimation.

2. Is it safe to swim in melted dry ice?

No, it is not safe to swim in melted dry ice. The liquid form of dry ice is extremely cold and can cause severe frostbite or burns if it comes into contact with your skin.

3. Can dry ice be used to cool swimming pools?

Dry ice can be used to cool swimming pools, but it is not recommended. The extreme cold temperature of dry ice can cause damage to the pool's surface and equipment, and it can also be dangerous for people swimming in the pool.

4. How long does it take for dry ice to melt?

The time it takes for dry ice to melt depends on the amount of dry ice and the surrounding temperature. Generally, it takes about 24 to 36 hours for a block of dry ice to completely melt at room temperature.

5. Can inhaling the gas from melted dry ice be harmful?

Yes, inhaling the gas from melted dry ice can be harmful. The gas is carbon dioxide, which can displace oxygen and lead to asphyxiation if inhaled in large quantities. It is important to handle dry ice in a well-ventilated area.