Can You Travel Faster Than The Speed Of Light?

• Thread starter WARLORDTF
  • Start date
if i go through a wormhole aren't i traveling faster than light or does this have something to do with space-time? is there an equation for a spacewarp or are whormholes just sci-fi? how do i inform myself about the physics of wormholes?

Wormholes work on a different principle. At no point do you travel faster than the speed of light between two points because the distance between the two points becomes zero (or as small as possible).

Wormholes a strictly theoretical at the moment and there is no direct evidence they exist.
sure i can travel faster than the speed of light

Not appropriate and a waste of a post.
correct me if i'm wrong but,when we use the equation E=mc2 the mass [m] no longer remains the same [constant] at higher speeds....the mass is then expressed as
m=mo/[1-(v/c)2] ...so,as v [speed] approaches c the denominator approaches infinity....
thus,this tells us that to achieve the speed of light infinite amount of energy is necessary..
which is practically not possible..

Correct, you require infinite energy for any object with mass to travel at c.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am sort of confused.I had a recent interview t study Astrophysics (UG).There I met one of the lecturers who has spent considerable amount of time on particles physics (his main subject of interest) and as such has permission to places such as CERN,LHC and so on.From what I have heard they had successfully made a beam of electron travel 100% to that speed of light. I wonder if these are actually called relativistic electrons ?

No, they've never achieved 100%.

lf light speed is the passport to traveling into the future, what is the ticket to traveling into the past, what is the oapasate of light speed? dark speed? or dark matter? you tell me?

it has something to do with reversing your polarity. if you have the polarity of antimatter you have to accelerate to go slower than light but can always travel faster.

K^2
Science Advisor
Speed of light is a local limit. That's the real reason that GR allows you travel faster than light in global sense. That is, for any large distance d, you can travel it in less than d/c. You don't even need a wormhole for that one. Look up Alcubierre Warp Drive.

Of course, the problem is that all known geometries allowing FTL travel require negative energy densities, and it's unclear whether these are possible. Worse, creating a wormhole requires altering of topology, for which there is no known mechanism.

Wormholes work on a different principle. At no point do you travel faster than the speed of light between two points because the distance between the two points becomes zero (or as small as possible).

Wormholes a strictly theoretical at the moment and there is no direct evidence they exist.

Not appropriate and a waste of a post.

Correct, you require infinite energy for any object with mass to travel at c.

Didn't Stephen Hawkings in a 2010 interview, say wormholes exists, I thought it was regarded as scientific fact not fiction.

K^2
Science Advisor
Didn't Stephen Hawkings in a 2010 interview, say wormholes exists, I thought it was regarded as scientific fact not fiction.
We have no evidence of wormholes. It's a fact that wormholes are consistent with our understanding of the universe. It is not a fact that they actually exist.

this is a strange thread to have on the physics forum to my imagination since it is almost conclusive that relativity(which has not been disproven)predicts the impossibility of faster than light travel. i just don't see this as a serious thread and simply asks anybody to state their hokey theory for faster than light travel. i think on some occasions i would say that i can move faster than the speed of human perception but i don't really think anyone can travel faster than the speed of light which moves at a speed which can be described as seven times around the world in a single second. that's just too darn fast!

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
this is a strange thread to have on the physics forum to my imagination since it is almost conclusive that relativity(which has not been disproven)predicts the impossibility of faster than light travel. i just don't see this as a serious thread and simply asks anybody to state their hokey theory for faster than light travel. i think on some occasions i would say that i can move faster than the speed of human perception but i don't really think anyone can travel faster than the speed of light which moves at a speed which can be described as seven times around the world in a single second. that's just too darn fast!

anything with mass cannot move at the speed of light, let alone faster than

do a forum search on the speed of light subject there are many earlier questions and answers on the subject :)

cheers
Dave