Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you unburn toast?

1. May 15, 2006 #1
    Hey all, I was wondering if its possible to unburn toast.

I will assume for the sake of this post that bread 'toasts' when the carbohydrates within have their glucose linkages oxidized upon sufficient heating. Well then, if one could capture the smoke that's rising from the newly forming toast and one had a satchel full of 'energy' with which they could use as they pleased to reform the chemical bonds in the toast, could one reform bread?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2006 #2
    no, burning is a chemical change and not a physical one. your only option is to scrape off the burnt toast. otherwise you get into a dangerous mess with chemicals that is totally not worth your time
  4. May 16, 2006 #3
    burning toast is a reaction that is not reversible so no... have you ever tried to unburn toast?
  5. May 16, 2006 #4
    And even scraping off the burnt part doesn't always work, because then the entire piece of toast has that 'Burnt' flavor.

So I agree with rctrack. No. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?