Did you know the baby on the Gerber jar is actually an author?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of what the person did while PF (possibly a website or platform) was down. They shared that they spent their time watching clips from the show QI, including one about baby food and another about walking on custard pudding. They expressed their love for QI and how it is an entertaining and informative quiz show. The conversation also mentioned other shows like Braniac, Mythbusters, Have I Got News For You, and Never Mind the Buzzcocks. The person recommended QI for those who enjoy learning about obscure facts and watching comedians make them interesting. Lastly, they discussed the unique ingredient in the custard used for walking on it.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What did I do while PF was down? I learned I can walk on custard pudding!

Here's an entertaining clip from the show, QI.

[MEDIA=youtube[/URL]

Actually, I spent my time watching quite a few clips form episodes of QI. The clip about baby food was pretty interesting because: a) I knew the answer to that one, and b) I'm simply amazed about how much Giles Brandeth knows about baby food and the Gerber family. I never knew the baby on the jar was Ann Turner Cook of Texas, an author of cheap mystery novels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I love QI, but the original clip is from Braniac, which is like Mythbusters, but more entretaining.

I watched the custard one, and the Alans one. both are :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: riots.

Love QI, best quiz show on the TV, behind Have I Got News For You and Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

If you love learning about dull and obscure facts, and watching very gifted comedians make them interesting and hilariously amusing, it's a must see.

It's the cornflour in the custard that does it I think. That is no ordinary custard though, you wouldn't want to eat it.

1. Can you really walk on custard?

Yes, it is possible to walk on custard under certain conditions. Custard is a non-Newtonian fluid, which means its viscosity (resistance to flow) changes depending on the amount of force applied to it. Therefore, if you walk on custard slowly and evenly distribute your weight, it will behave like a solid surface and support your weight.

2. What makes custard a non-Newtonian fluid?

Custard is a mixture of liquid and solid ingredients, such as milk, eggs, and sugar. The egg proteins in custard can unfold and form a network when force is applied, creating a more viscous and solid-like consistency. This change in viscosity allows for the possibility of walking on custard.

3. Are there any other non-Newtonian fluids that can support weight?

Yes, there are several other non-Newtonian fluids that can support weight, such as oobleck (a mixture of cornstarch and water), quicksand, and ketchup. These fluids also exhibit a change in viscosity under force, allowing for unique properties like walking on their surface.

4. Is walking on custard safe?

Walking on custard can be safe as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to test the custard beforehand to make sure it is the right consistency and to have someone nearby in case of any accidents. Also, avoid running or making sudden movements, as this can cause the custard to behave like a liquid and you may sink.

5. Can you walk on all types of custard?

No, not all types of custard will allow for walking. The consistency of the custard is key, as it needs to have enough viscosity to support weight. If the custard is too thin or runny, it will not be able to support walking. It is best to use a thick and creamy custard for this experiment.