Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can your body synthesise protein from carbohydrates and nitrogen?

1. Sep 16, 2004 #1
    If one had no way of eating any protein, but could eat carbohydrates and something which had nitrogen that wasn't a protein, could their body assemble proteins to use, or does that mechanism not exist?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Cows can do that, I believe, but not people. We have evolved to need some protein input.

4. Sep 17, 2004 #3
    I don't know anything about the metabolism.

But I do know that some amino acids have sulfur groups in them so you would have to have some sulfur source.

5. Sep 17, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aychamo: amino acids have a NH3+ group, thus you need a nitrogen source (like wasteofo2 mentioned).

To answer his question: there are 10 essential amino acids that you need to get through your diet (arginine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, valine), the other 10 are non-essential: those can be biosynthesized in adequate amounts.

The essential amino acids are generally the ones with complex structures: aromatic rings and hydrocarbon side-chains. The non-essential ones are those readily synthesized from abundant metabolites, such as intermediates in glycolysis or the citric acid cycle.

Plant proteins are generally deficient in lysine, methionine, or tryptophan, so a vegetarian should eat a varied diet to compensate the deficiency in one source by an excess in another.

6. Sep 17, 2004 #5
    I know this. I said that some amino acids contain sulfur. That is Methionine and Cysteine. Eating only hydrocarbons and nitrogen wouldn't get you those :)

7. Sep 17, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ahh, you had me there :wink: you're right :approve:

8. Sep 17, 2004 #7
    I guess I should have said sulfur in their R-groups instead of saying they had sulfur groups. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?