Does your vehicle meet the requirements for the cash for clunkers program?

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicle
In summary, the cash for clunkers program requires vehicles to have a combined city/highway gas mileage of 18 mpg or less to qualify. This is determined by the mileage the vehicle supposedly got when it was sold. Older vehicles, such as a 1990 Lincoln Continental with a gas mileage of 14 mpg, do not qualify. However, the program only goes back to 1985. The program also allows for a maximum voucher of $4500, which may not be a great deal for older vehicles that have a higher Kelley Blue Book value.
edward
For the cash for clunkers program? The combined city/highway gas mileage must be 18 mpg or less.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

They are using the mileage the vehicles supposedly got when sold. The 1990 Lincoln Continental which gets about 14 mpg, according to my neighbor, doesn't qualify. The advertised mileage at the time of sale was 19 MPG.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, but I bet that car in your picture would quality :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm absolutely amazed that neither of my vehicles would qualify. The 4x4 El Camino with the 455 Olds motor gets about 25 (in 2-high range). The 440 Roadrunner (when it was still running) got around 20 at 59 mph. At 60 the secondaries started to open, and it went down. Balls-to-the-wall, or in stop-and-go city traffic, it got about 5.

Oops! I just re-read the question. I missed the 'combined city/highway' part the first time around. Both of them would qualify in that case.

My Jeep qualifies. Except the voucher is only for $4500 dollars max and Kelley Blue Book for mine is at least $16,000, even allowing for the custom pin-striping from trees and the gouges in the rock sliders from rocks.

1. Can my vehicle qualify for government incentives?

The eligibility for government incentives varies depending on the specific program and location. Generally, vehicles that meet certain criteria such as fuel efficiency or emission standards may qualify. It is best to check with your local government or the program's website for more information.

2. Is there a limit on the age of the vehicle to qualify for incentives?

Again, this varies depending on the program. Some may have a specific age limit, while others may not. It is important to research the specific requirements for the program you are interested in.

3. Can a used vehicle qualify for incentives?

In some cases, used vehicles may qualify for incentives. However, these may be limited to certain models and may have stricter eligibility requirements. It is best to check with the program or dealership for more information.

4. Are there any additional fees or costs associated with qualifying for incentives?

While some programs may have an application or processing fee, there are generally no additional costs associated with qualifying for incentives. However, it is important to read the terms and conditions carefully to ensure there are no hidden fees.

5. How do I know if my vehicle qualifies for a specific incentive program?

The best way to determine if your vehicle qualifies for a specific incentive program is to visit the program's website or contact your local government for more information. They will have the most up-to-date and accurate information on eligibility requirements.