Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canada goverment offical says UFO's are real

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20051124/bs_prweb/prweb314382_1
    Canda's former defence minster says that UFO are real and wants the candian goverment to plan better intergalatic reations.He says that U.S. goverment is bulding weapons to fight aliens and that there building foward base on the moon.I guess where the only one's that have crazy goverment consirpacy's.:rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2005 #2
    Well if the Canadians say it's true....

4. Nov 26, 2005 #3
    i like a lot of that guy's other ideas (which aren't mentioned in the article), but this is just silly. he's one of the few politicians who doesn't want canada to be absorbed by the united states. i thought he was the only sane politician we had... until now.

5. Nov 26, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Canadian politicians want us to absorb it? The United States and Territories of America and Canada.... or the USTAC... ugly, absolutely ugly

6. Nov 27, 2005 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Moon base? How we getting stuff there? You can see a shuttle launch from 300 miles!

7. Nov 27, 2005 #6
    Here's the site of the organzation that's supporting Canadain hearings about Intergalatic reations.
    http://www.peaceinspace.net/
    I think I will send my letter to candian parliment about this:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8. Nov 27, 2005 #7
    most of canada's politicians & businesspeople have been actively soliciting foreign ownership since the 1800s. canada is basically a colony of the USA, or as former leader of the opposition john turner called us, a "reservoir" of resources for the US.

9. Nov 29, 2005 #8
    This is scary:

He got a standing ovation!

10. Nov 29, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

foreign ownership is all you need to be considered a colony now? Guess the US is owned by japan eh....

11. Nov 29, 2005 #10

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Where do you find people like this? In a loonie store? :rofl:

12. Nov 29, 2005 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The U.S. is way ahead of Canada in Intergalactic Relations:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=awcRMZ1.jG6E&refer=top_world_news
    I wonder what jobs the aliens will take? Will I be greeted by little grey guys at Walmart? Well, actually, I guess I already am. :smile:

13. Nov 29, 2005 #12

matthyaouw

Gold Member

So essencially, he's saying he has no more of an idea what happened than you or me. Convincing... :rofl:

14. Nov 29, 2005 #13
    there are generally 2 ways that a country can develop. the first is where capital accumulates in a small-scale unit of production, & the profits of which are reinvested in the enterprise to finance its growth from within. the second way is direct development in large-scale enterprise, often with government assistance and with capital from outside the enterprise (subsidies, foreign investment, etc) to help with its expansion. the second route generally leads to the development of an inefficient, noninnovative & backward industrial structure which has dependence on foreign technology, foreign capital & government assistance. canada had a choice back in the 1800s & we chose the 2nd route. everything that could be canadian is almost always really an american subsidiary (example: tim horton's) & canada isn't much more than a supplier of raw materials to the industrialised countries of the world.

15. Nov 29, 2005 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't get too worked up about this sort of thing either way. On one hand, anyone can go off the deep end. Given the proper circumstances or state of mind, anyone can be fooled or misled. Oh the other hand, this is just one of a long list of formerly high ranking military, government, and/or intelligence officials who claim a strong belief in or knowledge of alien spacecraft visiting out skies. In fact these types constitute the core of the conspiracy theory community. Note that the core of the story behind Roswell lies in the filmed testimony of the intelligence officer, Col Corso, who was highly respected in the intelligence community and is seen in at least one photo with Truman. Also, only two years earlier, Roswell is noted for another secret claim: It was the world’s only nuclear weapons base. Also note that some of the work going on at Roswell in 1947, such as project Mogul, was considered so sensitive that it was kept secret until only recently. So as the intelligence officer, Corso in fact had to be a heavy weight. You don't put rookies or wanna-be's in charge of projects like that. And it was Corso, among others, who say that they saw the alien bodies. He claims to have flown with them to Wright Patterson AFB.

Presumably, in addition to his long experience in government and military matters, a person such as Hellyer has access to people, hence information that gives him an advantage over most other people. So in one sense I think his claim carries more weight than in most anyone else’s would. However, once a person truly begins to believe that ET is visiting, the inability to define a proper context for such a reality leaves one vulnerable to nearly unbounded speculation. Suddenly the most extreme conspiracies theories and explanations can seem possible. And it’s easy to see how this would happen if you give it a little thought: Assume the premise of visiting ETs as a reality and go from there. So, for me this qualifies as interesting for now but nothing more either way. Maybe with time some perspective will be possible.

Here is another interesting UFO devotee of note.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  16. Nov 29, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that in some cases the testimony of these officials qualifies as anecdotal evidence for visiting ETs, but let's not get into the conspiracies themselves.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  17. Nov 30, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was misquoted a bit in the op

18. Dec 1, 2005 #17
  19. Dec 1, 2005 #18
    Scott, I'm going to click on your profile in a second, and I hope I find out you're under 13.

20. Dec 1, 2005 #19
    Well, it doesn't say, but you need to know Math Is Hard was pretending confusion between illegal aliens and space aliens as a joke.

21. Jan 11, 2006 #20
    Hellyer's 'story' is just the tip of this 'iceberg'. There's 3 groups behind this 'petion' and the people involved are very interesting, to say the least.
    1st ICIS
    Alfred Webre
    "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Webre"

Mr. Alfred Webre and Dr. Carol Rosin founded the Institute for Cooperation in Space (ICIS) in 2001

The ICIS board is made up of various prominent individuals such as former astronauts Edgar Mitchell & Dr. Brian O'Leary, as well as Arthur C. Clarke, General Council Daniel Sheehan and a founder of International Earth Day (March 21st), John McConnell.

note especially
    "1977 Carter White House proposed extraterrestrial communication study" and the last section "Exopolitics".

Most folks likely won't catch the 'nexus' here, but it looks like an all out gathering of those
    ready to play hard ball with the 'cosmic watergate' boys.

The 'knee jerk reaction' to Hellyer is that this guy is 'nuts'-he seems to be a political 'maverick' -and no doubt knows what he's doing...

He jumps into action with the UFO 'angle' after watching Jennings "Seeing is Believing".He says he then read Corso's book which had been sitting on the shelf and contacted an American General who tells him 'it's all true and more'--and this 'unknown' general fills him in on "the more".

If Hellyer's 'delusional' , start counting how many characters in 'politics' and 'power' he can point to who've convinced him this 'story's real'. Hopefully this 'force' will convince the 'unknown sources' to come out of the closet. Where'd the 2.3 TRILLION go that Rumsfeld
    said was 'misplaced'? (for the years 98-00). The DOD budget was c26 billion in 96 and 97-48 billion asked for in 03 (this includes 'black budget')
    Add in the monies 'lost' in the S&L, stocks and bonds etc etc Business as usual for how long?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/01/29/eveningnews/main325985.shtml

as another Canadian , Marshall McLuhan said,"World War III will be a guerrilla information war, with no division between military and civilian participation.".

Wouldn't "disinformation war" say it better?

======
    coverage of the Toronto Symposium
    http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2005-10-06/news_story8.php
    "In effect, permanent government runs things," he says. "We say we live in a democracy, but why do we call it democracy when, in effect, the people who are running it are not elected?"

www.macleans.ca
    Hellyer stated, "I believe that UFOs are real. I'll talk about that a little bit and a bit about the fantastic cover-up of the United States government and also a little bit of the fallout from the wreckage, by that I mean the material discoveries we have made and how they've been applied to our technology."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?