Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canada: Liberals didnt flock here

1. Aug 7, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2005 #2
    Whatever.....

4. Aug 7, 2005 #3
    MY GOD!!

Well now, in my view this completely justifies the countless atrocities commited by the Administration. Those stupid liberals, why can't they just live with a constant state of war and take their loss of civil liberties like the rest of us, in complete ignorance?

5. Aug 7, 2005 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

From what I have read, it's not easy to become a Canadian citizen...what you have to offer Canada, such as your education and job skills, is what helps your acceptance. What I don't understand is though, my last visit up there I saw a ton of Asians, and Eastern Indians who own businesses. Does Canada offer help to those who wish to be self employed?

And I imagine that the colder weather was somewhat of a deterrent for many Americans, as well as having no hockey this past season.

6. Aug 7, 2005 #5
    Not really surprising. Not really thread worthy either.

But man I would like to move to Canada when I get out of school. Such beautiful countryside has quite a pull for me.

7. Aug 7, 2005 #6
    Yeah, I'm sure highly liberal Quebec can't wait to have American Democrats invading their culture and cities.

What makes them think we even want them in Canada? Canda isn't a 2nd-tier, back-up home for Americans.

Just because their unhappy with America doesn't mean Canada needs them to flock over. Do they think that just because Eastern Canada is Liberal, that that automatically gives them right to residency?

A lot of them believe that they can just march up to Canada and find a place to live. They have no clue how immigration works. The income tax itself will have them rushing back down to the States.

And what if they have problems with Stephen Harper? Where next? Greenland? :uhh:

I'm guessing you were in British Columbia (lower mainland).

The deal for Asians and East Indians to get into Canada usually requires that they have a strong education and that they must have a good amount of money.

If you go to Richmond, British Columbia, you'll immediately notice the amount of wealthy Asians, usually from Hong Kong. You can find the same thing in Coquitlam, and Surrey where a lot of East Indians live.

In order to come to Canada, they must be able to support themselves completely, without Government aid. From what I've been told, sometimes employers don't completely recognize their college education or are uncomfortable with their language skills. Therefore, starting a business is a quick (risky) way to make money. Since a lot of them are wealthy anyways, starting a small business is not much of a problem.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  8. Aug 7, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We would like to have left but its not so easy. In our case, family demands, for example, my mother who is in the hospital for the forth time in two months, exceeded our desire to leave. So grow up.

I should add that Tsu didn't want to move farther north, but all option were off the table because of family.

9. Aug 7, 2005 #8
    We are still considering it. Though Canada is too closeto bush. We'd move to New Zealand. In some ways, we are closer to it now than we were in November; Mike said for the first time last week : If such and such happens, we *will* leave the country.

Also, see this report:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1105-24.htm

THere is no denying that liberals were stunned into considering a move. Almost every liberal I know had their plan in place - where they'd go, etc. I personally searched for job opportunities from other countries and printed them out, and I still have those on hand.

I'm not sure what your point is. Were you going to miss us?

10. Aug 7, 2005 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I would hope that those Americans who are most faithful to the finest ideals of their nation (i.e., the liberals) choose to remain in the U.S, and sort out the mess after..

You're welcome in Norway, BTW.

11. Aug 7, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Half the businesses in my city are owned by eastern indians. Supposedly its because of how their culture works (pooled money through the church)

12. Aug 7, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No one said Canada needs them to flock over. They just threatened to move to Canada if Bush was re-elected. Of course, as we can see now, no one actually did it because they were simply over-reacting and doing their usual sensationalism.

13. Aug 7, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Grow up? Thats surely not a nice comment! Especially in the GD:PWA forum. I dont remember you going on national tv telling people that you were leaving for Canada... Please don't get so defensive.

14. Aug 7, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Actually the right is the only group faithful to the ideals of our nation. Thats why the left want to leave. Being faithful to a nation doesn't mean mass exodus the second you don't like something. The right-wing is for capitalism, the Constitution, and freedom... this is counter to what the left in this country enjoys as seen in the latest scandals around here.

15. Aug 7, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So where did you live when you lived in the US?

16. Aug 7, 2005 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well I think your comment that you quickly deleted shows exactly what kind of person you are.

17. Aug 7, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I caught it before you deleted it (or maybe a mod did). And again, where did you live in the US when you did live here?

18. Aug 7, 2005 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Where did you live?

And I didn't know, for example, my sister who takes care of 7 kids and a grandchild and works as a real estate agent while her husband attends college, is a disgusting human being

I mean it must be a rather baseless and hateful statement if you had to delete it (or a mod decided to deliete it).

19. Aug 7, 2005 #18
    So if we leave.... we're unfaithful to the nation.....
    .... and if we stay, we're sensationalistc crybabies?

Hunh. Sounds like the only alternatives are to (1) keep our mouths shut at the atrocities Bush is committing (would we get your respect if we "sucked it up" or would our silence just be more evidence for you that the nation is heading in a conservative direction?) or (2) decide we agree with you. i.e. no personal freedom of thought or choice, etc.

And.... Pengwuino.... I do hope you realize that there were *no* liberals that were trying to advertise their fervent wishes to leave, outside of some celebrities (and we can agree they are a bit given to drama.) Any sensationalism you perceved..... was the result of the media picking up on things like the number of hits on the Canada immigration website. You'll need to forgiuve us if we didn't have the foresight to be more clandestine in our plans!

And lest it be forgotten, we are all on the same side - we all want what is best for this country.

20. Aug 7, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well that certainly doesn't help your case. It means I actively show that the only thing you enjoy saying are things full of hatred and bigotry. You seem to think you know a lot about the US when all you know is hateful propoganda.

Im not sure... especially since your the one who branded the right as traitors...

21. Aug 7, 2005 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Third option: do what everyone has done since Day 1 of this nation. Protest, write congressmen, etc etc. Rather obvious isn't it? Please leave sensationalism out of this thread. You knew what a third option would be.

And yes, there were many people saying they wanted to leave... unless of course, i simply dreamed up the constant barrage of local news stories where common people said they were leaving to Canada. And yes, I do know most people want whats best for the US, but whats "best" is different depending on what your beliefs are. Some people think a open society where you can have sex in public and do any drug you want and demand other people pay for your hospitalization is the best for the US while others thing a medieval theocracy is whats best for the US. Most people are somewhere in between of course, and thanks to democracy, its simply a struggle to see how far people can get on either side of the scale... or come to an agreement on middle ground.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?