Canada solves it's final problem

Main Question or Discussion Point

Having dealt with all the important matters of the economy, living standards and national security - and having decided that dealing with an inability to win at ice hockey is unsolvable - the canadian government has finally stamped down on those wreckers of society.

Dire Straits have been banned.

Specifically the line in Money for Nothing - "that little sweetheart with the earing and the makeup" has been banned following a single complaint from a Newfoundlander (even more amazing the complaint was in writing!)

Radio stations, when they stopped laughing, responded by beeping out the word leaving only the 'F' which of course makes it sound ruder than it is.

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
No one's played that song on the radio in the US in 20 years, but I'm sure it would be bleep'd out here too if anyone ever did.

No one's played that song on the radio in the US in 20 years, but I'm sure it would be bleep'd out here too if anyone ever did.
Don't US rap stars have some terribly off-color lyrics in their ballads?

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Don't US rap stars have some terribly off-color lyrics in their ballads?
They get bleeped out for the most part.

here's another one for you silly canucks to censor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSZCo4Znvg

Give it another 25years for the album to reach Newfieland and it will be banned.

The classic rock station here in Baltimore plays the song, and does not bleep it out.

ShawnD
Science Advisor
We're on a roll here. First step is banning music and the next step is rewriting books.

In 50 years, books will say Hitler was Asian, that the Confederates won the civil war, and the first man on the moon was Jackie Gleason :wink:

mheslep
Gold Member
Do the Canadians plan on banning distribution on the Internet as well? I suppose the Chinese have a Tienanmen Square filter that could be adapted to block Money For Nothing.

Caution for Canadian Viewers, the CHRC may object:

Last edited by a moderator:
mheslep
Gold Member
I see Knopfler says 'queen' now in live performances.