Which country will come out on top in the Canada vs. USA hockey game?

In summary, the conversation was about the hockey game between Canada and USA. The participants had different opinions about the game and its outcome. Some were rooting for Canada, while others were rooting for USA. There was discussion about the players' performance and strategies, as well as comparisons between the two teams. The conversation highlighted the importance of defense in winning a hockey game, and the role of the goalies. Despite the differences in opinions, everyone was excited and passionate about the game.

There is a "blockade" on all US IP addresses which makes it impossible for us to watch live events over the internet, thanks to NBC.

Physics news on Phys.org

rootX said:
Are you using firefox?

I usually use IE for things like that.

I had to download Silverlight for watching online (I used IE)
I have Chrome, FF, and IE. MS has managed to block all streaming Olympic feed to the US. Damn them and NBC too.

MotoH said:
There is a "blockade" on all US IP addresses which makes it impossible for us to watch live events over the internet, thanks to NBC.

It happened to me too :(

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

http://www.pandora.com/restricted

turbo-1 said:
I have Chrome, FF, and IE. MS has managed to block all streaming Olympic feed to the US. Damn them and NBC too.

turbo, there are plenty of sites that stream olympic coverage live, however they get taken down from time to time and you have to move on to the next stream.

if you go to www.vancouver2010.com and go to the event while it is live you can just ask in the facebook chat for a stream link for someone in the USA and people should send you the links.

It'll be a pain in the but though :P

Is NBC not carrying the hockey finals this afternoon (1215 PST)?! Maybe hockey really is a niche sport outside of Canada... On that note, I'd heard that 65% of Canadian households tuned in last week to Canada vs. US round 1. I suspect there would be nation-wide rioting if CTV weren't broadcasting the game. Or tried putting it on PayPerView.

Vote Pirate Party.

We got the bronze medal, beating Slovakia 5-3. Fantastic performance by team Finland after that frankly embarrassing USA game.

MATLABdude said:
Is NBC not carrying the hockey finals this afternoon (1215 PST)?!
The hockey finals will be live. What is live and what isn't is at the whim of the network. The bobsled final run was during the dinner hour and they weren't going to show it on MSNBC while most of their audience was watching local news on the local NBC afiliate. Plus, they needed something good to show last night in prime time.

Today, they have prime time filled with the closing ceremonies and the hockey is in the afternoon, so no need to delay it.

Last edited:

MATLABdude said:
I suspect there would be nation-wide rioting if CTV weren't broadcasting the game. Or tried putting it on PayPerView.

You know what? I wouldn't even call that an overstatement.

OMG!

The trick of pulling the keeper hardly ever works.

Take that!

Yeah. Good game.

Definitely good one.

Tomorrow is going to be a tough one at work. The little company for which I work has a good sized northern contingent: a North Dakotan, two Minnesotans, and a Canadian as employees. Oh yeah, and two Canadian owners. I'm one of the close-to-Canadians.

Wooot! Definitely a good game! Quite proud to be Canadian right now :D :biggrin:

And thanks to the US team for giving us such a run for our money, it was fun :D:biggrin:

[ALLCAPS]d'oh![/ALLCAPS]

lol, it won't stay in all caps..

D H said:
OMG!

The trick of pulling the keeper hardly ever works.

Pulling the goaltender?
It definitely works... that's why they do it.

That was a terrific game -- well played by everyone. It's too bad that someone had to lose.

What a great wrap-up to the games.

See, Borek? I told you it was worthwhile to stay awake for the hockey game. :biggrin:

zomgwtf, I've not yet seen -- prior to today -- pulling the goalie being a winning strategy. It's always been a last ditch, "Okay, we're going to lose anyway, so let's give ourselves a one-person advantage". This time it really paid off. First time I've seen that happen, though. Sure made it exciting.

zomgwtf said:
Pulling the goaltender?
It definitely works... that's why they do it.

Depending on your team, I think it works less than half the time at best. But you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. In junior, you sometimes see teams pulling goalies when they have 2 (and sometimes even one) player power plays. Don't think that happens at the NHL level, though.

Just got back from watching it downtown.
Had to walk back, all the bus services are stopped as every bridge into the city is blocked by the crowds - there are only 1M people in the metro Van area, and they are all on the streets.

Strangely there don't seem to be any USA flags on the streets!

From the people I have talked to, downtown Toronto is absolutely insane

MotoH said:
From the people I have talked to, downtown Toronto is absolutely insane

I believe it is same all across the country.

Yeah it's pretty crazy even here in Mississauga.

I wanted to go to Dundas square or hit up Gretzkys but no one wanted to come with :cry:

Crazy-good. I would have preferred a USA win, but I am so happy for my Canadian friends. Hard to lose, either way.

A reporter said that being in the downtown Vancouver area right now is like "being inside a cowbell"...:rofl:.

All in all, a very nice Olympics. Great job, Canada!

Definitely was a good olympics in my opinion.

Can't wait to see the Russians, the performance they just put on at the closing cermonies was pretty impressive I think.

Shortly after the hockey win, I saw the crowd on Yonge Street in Toronto on the between clips and they said they had to close it down entirely because of the people out loose. Who knew you could excite us from one end of the country to the next?

Yes, Russia did some impressive stuff in the closing ceremonies. I liked the good humoured, well conceived "repair" of the hydraulic glitch from the opening ceremony. Rather than just lift the thing and not mention it, they put on a comical performance to raise it. And best of all gave Catriona Le May Doan her moment in the spotlight that she missed at the beginning. It was a smart move on the organisers' part.

I have to agree that it seemed a bit shaky at first, but Vancouver really pulled it off nicely. It turned out to be and look like a lot of fun. And Canadians kind of came out of their shell. What was up with that? :smile:

Once nickleback started playing, the whole show went down from there.

MotoH said:
Once nickleback started playing, the whole show went down from there.
Everyone was on the edge of their seats - ready to run if Celine Dion turned up.

mgb_phys said:
Everyone was on the edge of their seats - ready to run if Celine Dion turned up.

Did she sing this song ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saalGKY7ifU ?

No, fortunately the $Bn security presence worked and they managed to keep her out.

That was one of the best hockey games I have ever seen. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Loved it. Congrats to Canada.

GeorginaS said:
See, Borek? I told you it was worthwhile to stay awake for the hockey game. :biggrin:

Bah, that was for sissies. Game ended around midnigth, curling transmissions didn't start before 1 a.m.