Who Will Lead Canada? Liberals in the Lead, Watch on CBC

• News
  • Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary: I would've been disappointed. :( The Liberal Party has the best policies. They're responsible, they have a good plan, and they're realistic. I voted for the Liberal Party. I think they have the best policies. They're responsible, they have a good plan, and they're realistic.
Dagenais
The Liberals have a huge lead this election in Canada.

You can watch it on CBC.

So, who do you want head of Canada?

Physics news on Phys.org
Boo-hiss...

Down with those Liberals in Canada (they are the same as the Party here).

Surely, you guys won't vote them in again?

Wooooo! They won!

Canadians don't have that much of a choice. we vote them in, or the conservatives.

The other parties aren't even a choices.

Wow, the election is still on, but it's clear the Liberals have won. The conservatives have already congratulated them.

The Liberals have won and must work with a minority Government:

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/28/canada/elxn_call040628 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
A Leftist Influence...

You guys had Independents running, did they get a look in?

Liberal
Dark days ahead for Canada, indeed...

I hope my Nation doesn't vote the Liberals in (yet again) when we have our elections in August...

PS;

Zero just posted an article that the Liberals need the support of those Leftist New Democrats, in order to get the numbers to govern.

Deals/trade-offs galore in the pipe-line…

At least there will be a Leftist influence...

Last edited:
Well I voted NDP, but worse comes to worse we'll have to settle for Liberals. Says something about Harper's conservatives though, Canadians it seem would prefer the scandalous liberals over Harper and the New Conservatives. Heh, can't say I don't feel the same.

Anyway, last I checked the Liberals need 21 more seats to make a majority government.

Man... Alberta's going to be pissed is Liberals get a majority again. :rofl:

Last edited:
revelator - if you've voted for the NDP, you've probably haven't paid taxes yet.

The Liberal is clearly the best choice.

I've been paying working and paying taxes for 8 years thanks. Been paying GST/PST even longer.

Liberals wouldve been my second choice. I like the NDP for their attention to environmental issues, their unwillingness to involve Canada in Bush's blasted missile defence, their attention to the poor.

I personally don't mind having to pay high taxes, provided that money is spent well. The Liberals have not been spending our money all that wisely lately.

Regardless, as long as Harper doesn't get in, I will be satisfied. Hell I'd vote Bloc before I'd vote conservative.

Liberals wouldve been my second choice. I like the NDP for their attention to environmental issues, their unwillingness to involve Canada in Bush's blasted missile defence, their attention to the poor.

The Liberals pay attention to the enviroment.

And where does the NDP get the money from the poor? The hard-working citizens with jobs from big US companies. In short, heavy ass taxes on the people who work so the people who sit on their fat asses can receive extremely large sums of welfare.

And let's not forget! More power to the union! /sarcasm

I personally don't mind having to pay high taxes, provided that money is spent well. The Liberals have not been spending our money all that wisely lately.

The NDP will destroy the Canadian economy.

And the conservatives aren't that bad. They'd be my 2nd choices. NDP would be my last.

I don't want to see hard working people's pay-check go to people who leech off the Government as opposed to their families.

As I understood isn't the NDP is supposed to raise corporate taxes? (Provided they didn't just lie, as politicians tend to do).

Regardless, it seems Liberals have taken it, and that is acceptable to me.

I'm not sure. I like the NDP goals, but let's be serious...

Lots and lots of tax.

All you have to do is think, "Where is the money coming from?"

Again, I don't mind paying if it's spent wisely. None of this gun registry bull****. Although the greedy side of me really does hope they hit up the corporations. :P

As current standings, the Liberals are 21 seats away from a majority, and the NDP is holding exactly 21 seats. If they ally they'll have enough seats to retain control of the house. It'll really stick a bee in the bonnet of Conservative Alberta though. Don't get me wrong, I really don't have anything against Albertans, but I've read a good many nasty letters from them to the Toronto Star ragging on Ontarians.

Choice?

It would seem like you guys had a lot more choice, than what you are making out…
http://www.synapse.net/radio/can-pol.htm [Broken]

Damn, the Cannabis Canada Party, now that’s something worth voting for!
http://www.iamm.com/oppose/index.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
On my ballot, in the riding of Mississauga East-Cooksville, I had candidates representing the following parties. So these are effectively the the candidates I had to choose from.

Marxist/Leninist Party of Canada
Liberal Party of Canada
New Conservative Party
New Democrat Party
Green Party
Christian Heritage Party

Now given those 6 options, I can rule out the Conservatives as I disagree strongly on their social and foreign policies.

I don't know too much about what the Marxist/Leninst party, but I know (retrospectively) had I voted for them, it would have been a vote thrown away.

Christian Heritage Party? Please. Policy based on the word God? <shiver>. Church and state are separate for a reason.

The Green party was an option, but the candidate in my riding was a virtual unknown. I saw no fliers, no signs, nothing.

Liberals, like I said would've been my second option.

And the NDP? I like what Jack Layton had to say, as outlined abpve.

None of this gun registry bull****.

I'm completely against gun use. Anything to keep guns away from the wrong hands.

I agree that guns must be kept out of the wrong hands, but the registy doesn't really do that. That dude who came from New Brunswick to do a massacre in Toronto last week, all his guns were legally registered. Gun registty doesn't stop gun crime, or really keep the guns out of the hands of murderers. Besides. what kind of a pisspoor murderer kills with a registered gun? There's no need, we have more than enough unregistered handguns flowing up here from the United States to supply Canada's would be murderers.

If anything we should tighten up this ridiculously porous border we share with the United States. It would please us all. Canadian Pot that some Americans are upset about can be kept this side of the border, and American guns that upset Canadians can be kept south of the border.

If anything we should tighten up this ridiculously porous border we share with the United States. It would please us all.

They are striking right now. You can forget about it.

The union in Canada wants more money - until they get it I doubt the borders will improve.

As for guns being kept out of Canada from the US, that's kind of a law.

Before you pass the border, they'll usually ask (as I recall):

"Any firearms, alcohol or drugs in the vehicle"?

They also check your trunk, they make you roll down your windows. Sometimes, they'll ask you to drive into a special area and do complete checks. At least they are making an effort.

If you do have a gun in your car, which some people do (3 out of 10, CSI?), you have to leave it at the borders.

They should make guns in cars completely illegal. In anger, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of drivers went for their guns in confrontations.

Dagenais said:
They are striking right now. You can forget about it.

The union in Canada wants more money - until they get it I doubt the borders will improve.

As for guns being kept out of Canada from the US, that's kind of a law.

Before you pass the border, they'll usually ask (as I recall):

"Any firearms, alcohol or drugs in the vehicle"?

They also check your trunk, they make you roll down your windows. Sometimes, they'll ask you to drive into a special area and do complete checks. At least they are making an effort.

If you do have a gun in your car, which some people do (3 out of 10, CSI?), you have to leave it at the borders.

They should make guns in cars completely illegal. In anger, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of drivers went for their guns in confrontations.

I realize there are laws against bringing guns across the border, but that doesn't seem to be stopping the flow of guns. Furthermore, there are many places where one can walk across the border. A few years back, when visiting New Brunswick I advertently crossed the New Brunswick/Maine border on foot. Quite my surprise when I found Maine highway signs.

As I recall, at least until a few years ago the official crossing point around the town of Grand Falls, NB, the border guards went home at around 11:00pm each night. If you had to cross after that time, you were to sign your name on some paper and then come back in the morning to check in with the guards. I don't if it's still like that post 9/11, but if it is, then that's a perfectly good way for criminals to traffic drugs/firearms across the border.

I've drifted quite off topic here, but my point was, what good is a federal gun registry, if the gun murders in the country are being committed with unregistered guns? This has cost us $2B CDN, and is still costing us money. I can't help but see that as an irresponsible way to spend taxpayer money.

Last edited:
Yeah, 2 billion is a lot of money.

I'm more worried about the minority Government working with the Liberal. They "won" the minority Government - yay for them.

So, who wants to bet on when the next election takes place? 6 months? Or how long until this thing falls apart?

I recall on CBC British Columbia they said historically, a minority government lasts on average 18 months. So it looks like we could be at this again.

Also note in the 70s (I think it was the 70s) when Trudeau's Liberals formed a relatively stable coalition government with the NDP. As I understand it, together they were responsible for the health care system that Canadians cherish so much.

I'm thinking it's probably a good idea to have a minority government right now, considering the sponsorship scandal that we've been going through. Another Liberal majority would only tell the Liberals that they can do what the please and still get a majority vote, which would be no good for anyone, except maybe the Liberals and their buddies. A minority government will ensure a degree a of humility from the Liberals, a party which has grown very arrogant over the last decade.

The Liberals have a right to be somewhat arrogant. They seem to be the only party that'll work.

Anyone who voted for the NDP obviously didn't live in B.C. while the NDP was in charge.

In short, British Columbia was one f*cked up place.

And no - there is no other way to say that, B.C. was f*cked up under the NDP.

1. Who is Canada's new Prime Minister?

Justin Trudeau is Canada's new Prime Minister. He was elected in 2015 and is the leader of the Liberal Party.

2. How was Canada's new Prime Minister elected?

Justin Trudeau was elected through a federal election, in which Canadians voted for the candidate of their choice in their riding. The party that wins the most seats in the House of Commons forms the government, and their leader becomes the Prime Minister.

3. What are some of Canada's new Prime Minister's political views?

Justin Trudeau is known for his progressive and liberal political views. He has focused on issues such as climate change, gender equality, and diversity in his policies and actions as Prime Minister.

4. How has Canada's new Prime Minister been received by the public?

Justin Trudeau has been received positively by many Canadians, particularly for his charismatic personality and progressive policies. However, he has also faced criticism and controversy for some of his decisions as Prime Minister.

5. What are some of the major changes that have occurred under Canada's new Prime Minister's leadership?

Some of the major changes that have occurred under Justin Trudeau's leadership include the legalization of cannabis, increased immigration and refugee acceptance, and the implementation of a carbon pricing system. He has also made efforts to repair relationships with Indigenous communities and improve Canada's international reputation.