Canadian dollar

The Canadian dollar hit 0.968617 cents US today. And it's been flirting with 0.7 Euros since the beginning of June.

I suddenly feel like going for a donut at Krispy Kreme.

Answers and Replies

scpg02
The Canadian dollar hit 0.968617 cents US today. And it's been flirting with 0.7 Euros since the beginning of June.

Eeewww, eat a real donut for God's sake.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
Dunkin Donuts? Krispy Kreme? Hardly.

You need to get those trans-fatty-acid soaked wonders from Hostess.....

I always admire how quickly threads get irrelevent.

I'm going to London for a month, not excited about the xrate :(

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm going to London for a month, not excited about the xrate :(
I feel for you there, Greg-- especially going to London as it's an even more expensive place to live than the rest of the UK. If it makes you feel any better, I've just been on a trip to the US and loved the exchange rate; everything was so cheap! :biggrin:

I always admire how quickly threads get irrelevent.
The value of national currencies isn't expected to remain up to date for long. Just like Krispy Kreme donuts don't stay fresh.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The value of national currencies isn't expected to remain up to date for long. Just like Krispy Kreme donuts don't stay fresh.
You need to freeze them and then microwave them for 30 seconds.

No wait, I'm talking about the British Pound.

is that a good thing?

irrelevent--->irrelevant

jim mcnamara
Mentor
cybernomad -
it means all the US-made junk costs less in Canada - Hostess cakes made in Albany sell for about 20% less than a year ago - to beat a dead irrelevancy into a pulpy mass.

Except that the Canadadian stores prolly still charge the same? The only way to win is to take Canada dollars South (inside a Visa card) buy stuff and go home.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If the Fed cuts the discount rate next week, then the dollar will drop further.

It's good for those of us exporting goods and services overseas.

Many eyes will be watching Ben Bernanke.
Next week's meeting (September 18) of the US Federal Reserve's key interest rate setting group is looming as the most important for years.

At stake is the health of financial markets from bonds, interbank, shares, commodities and all those other outriders. But it has been overtaken by events: specifically the rescue by the Bank of England of Northern Rock plc, one of Britain's biggest home lenders.The Bank of England will reveal later Friday the terms of its rescue of Northern Rock, which has $US200 billion in assets, but which has been frozen out of the short-term markets by the credit crunch. The bank funds much of its home loan, credit card and other loan book from short-term markets and the rescue means that it is the first significant institution to ask for emergency aid, having exhausted all other options.The news will force the Fed's hand to cut cuts and the market is now punting on a half a per cent trim being the most obvious move, rather than the 0.25% tipped in a survey by Bloomberg. A clutch of statistics out in the US tonight, including retail sales, will also have a big bearing on the Fed's decision because they will give a reading on the state of the wider economy. Industrial production figures are also due.
http://www.acnnewswire.net/press/en/40921/Australasian-Investment-Review.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
cybernomad -
it means all the US-made junk costs less in Canada - Hostess cakes made in Albany sell for about 20% less than a year ago - to beat a dead irrelevancy into a pulpy mass.

Except that the Canadadian stores prolly still charge the same?
I was in the auto part manufacturing sector and enjoyed the low dollar of the 80's when US companies moved jobs north. I'm Canadian.

The only way to win is to take Canada dollars South (inside a Visa card) buy stuff and go home.
What of Mexico?