Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canadian Election 2006: Who?

1. Dec 30, 2005 #1
    Hey Canadians, who are you gonna vote for in 2006?? Why?? To be honest I don't get wrapped up in politics much, but I do want to get a good vote in.

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2005 #2
  4. Jan 1, 2006 #3

ek

I am a leftist, but I will not be voting for the NDP or the Greens this year. My riding's 13-year MP (former president of United Nations Environment Program) is retiring, and the new guy needs as many votes as he can get. He is facing stiff competition from the NDP candidate. And as much as I like the Greens/NDP, I must vote strategically against the Tories. The Liberals need my riding, so I'm going to do my part.

Stephen Harper's campaign slogan is "Stand up for Canada". I say stand up for Canadians and don't vote for a guy/party who doesn't stand up for all Canadians.

Stephen Harper says he will the put the gay marriage issue to a free vote in the House. What he doesn't understand is that it doesn't matter how many people have a particular opinion if that opinion is fundamentally prejudiced and fundamentally wrong.

Mr. Martin believes a man who does not believe and stand up for the Charter of Rights and Freedoms should not be even attempting to run the country. I agree with Mr. Martin.

Stephen Harper is the only one out of the five major party leaders who is against equal rights for all Canadians. Mr. Martin, M. Duceppe, Mr. Layton and Mr. Harris all support equal rights for all Canadians.

There are lots of issues in this election, but (to me) the rights of the people of this country trump any other issue.

So, to answer the OP's question, on January 23, 2006 when voting for the Member of Parliament for the riding of Victoria, I will be putting my "X" next to "David Mulroney, Liberal".

5. Jan 1, 2006 #4
    Ek, why not vote for the NDP? The NDP certainly won't be siding with the tories if the liberals and NDP have enough votes to overpower them. A vote for the NDP is simply a vote for the left.

If I could vote, I would vote strategically for the liberals (the NDP have no chance where I live).

Overall, I hope the NDP goes up in seats, the tories go down, the greens get a seat, and the bloc goes up. The liberals should stay where they are or lose a few seats. I don't want a torie government, but I don't want a liberal majority.

6. Jan 1, 2006 #5
    I was about to say whoever Smurf ISNT voting for....but then I saw his post :(

7. Jan 1, 2006 #6
    unfortunately that wouldn't work even if I was voting. We don't have a pure dichotomy on our political parties.

8. Jan 1, 2006 #7
    ndp, as always. liberals & conservatives are too corrupt & integrationist. ndp is the only other realistic choice iv'e got.

9. Jan 1, 2006 #8
    Canadians vote for a party, not for a person.

they may vote for a party because of the lily person who will be elected by the party, but that is as close as it gets to US style elections.

I found it odd at first when my Canadian friend told me about it, but now I wish we had a more parliamentary kind of system... seems that more accountability is present in the system.

10. Jan 1, 2006 #9
    To hell with strategic voting. That's what keeps the thieving liberals in power.
    There's no reason to be scared of voting NDP/Green. Even if the Conservatives take it, they won't pull anything more than a minority government, they would be powerless against a Liberal/NDP/Bloc opposition.
    Although, I do want to see the Conservatives lose, just so we can get that fool Harper out of future federal elections.

11. Jan 3, 2006 #10
    It will be my first time voting (just turned legal age) and I'm not sure sure who I want to vote for. I have no respect for the liberals and all anymore, and don't even get me started on what I think about the Bloc! It will be either the Conservatives or NDP for me probably. At the moment I'm not a super huge fan of Harper, but even less of a fan of Martin. Conservatives are probably most popular in my area so I haven't heard much of the NDP but from what I have seen I kind of like Layton....I'm going to have to do some more research on them.

12. Jan 3, 2006 #11
    Sadly, it seems to me that Gilles Duceppe has some of the best leadership of the bunch (the best of a sorry bunch). Unfortunate that he leads the Bloc.

I remember reading a poll (Toronto Star I believe) where people were asked who they would most like to sit down and have a beer with (another example of our media asking the important questions). As I recall, Duceppe scored pretty high.

13. Jan 3, 2006 #12
    The first time I heard Duceppe speak was one of the debates they put on tv, I can't remember which one it was. Anyway, to me he came off as an arrogant jerk, but that could be in part because I don't agree with him or his parties goals.

14. Jan 4, 2006 #13
    Were you watching/listening in French or English? I find in English he generally comes off much more jerkish. In French, he comes off as wittier, and seems to be more easygoing. I wonder if that's done intentionally.

15. Jan 4, 2006 #14
    yeah he'd be pretty cool if he weren't a separatist. or rather, if he were a different kind of separatist, the kind that wants canada to separate from the united states & have its own industries, etc.

16. Jan 4, 2006 #15
    Ah, that could have something to do with it to, I was watching in English, and everytime I heard him talk I just got more irritated.

17. Jan 4, 2006 #16

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I'm voting conservative this time around because I'm very strongly opposed to gun control. Paul Martin has turned gun control into a major issue in order to get what he thinks is the majority of the country to support him; that's why I think he's serious about actually trying to get this put into action.

That's basically the only issue I'm voting for. I think both the conservatives and liberals are capable of running the country on a balanced budget (the liberals are currently with a balanced budget). I support most ideas the conservative party has, but I'm very satisfied with the way this country is running under liberal control.

I don't exactly understand the NDP mentality. For example, it was proposed that GST be refunded a certain amount for families in certain income brackets. It sounds great in theory for those who really need it, but it takes too much effort. To refund maybe $200 of GST, you need to pay a guy who sort through hundreds of receipts and figure out how much GST you should get back given how much you paid and how much money you make. I can guarantee that the administration cost to refund $200 is well over $200, then you need to raise taxes to cover that cost. Who pays these taxes? That guy you gave the refund to. Is this helping? Not really.
    Then there's the foreign aid idea. I have a better idea: change starts at home. Fix Canada, then fix the countries that suck. I would rather give a small portion of my money so my neighbor's kids can go to college rather than give that money to "forgive" the debts of some dictator ******* overseas.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  18. Jan 4, 2006 #17
    Hell yeah on the gun control! That was the biggest waste of money ever!

19. Jan 4, 2006 #18
    Gotta agree with you on the gun control. I have trouble believing the criminals would honor a ban on handguns. Even the gun registry sufferered the same problem, criminals don't register their guns. This is a perfect scenario of the Liberals offering band-aid solutions.

I can' bring myself to vote Conservative. One reason being is his willingness to drag us into America's wars.

[edit] That he's willing to co-author an article with that fool Stockwell Day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockwell_Day (Canada's most famous creationist) is also troubling to me.

Another is his beating of the dead-horse same-sex marriage, and his praise for Mike Harris and Brian Mulroney both of whom I think left us worse off. I also disagree with his corporate tax cuts (which I should point out, the Liberals have also promised).

For me the only option is Jack Layton's NDP, while they are far from perfect. I consider them the best of a sorry bunch.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  20. Jan 5, 2006 #19

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Oh that name takes me back a couple years. I remember Stockwell Day looking so awesome because of his political record (good with finances), but he turned out to be a complete moron. Thank god he lost the election.

One thing that really bugs me about Harper is how he reminds me of George Bush. Harper was born and raised in Toronto, but he tries to put on this show of being a westerner. Bush was born in Connecticut but tries to act like a Texas cowboy.

Here is some interesting information about the party leaders. It's good to know the back story.....
    Stephen Harper (conservative)
    Paul Martin (liberal)
    Jack Layton (NDP)
    Gilles Duceppe (bloc, quebec only, suspiciously evil smile)
    Jim Harris (green party)

21. Jan 6, 2006 #20
    Is there any criteria for who you call "the honorable" and who you call "the right honorable?" I notice that Stephen Harper and Jack Layton are called the honorable, Paul Martin is called the right honorable, and Gilles Duceppe and Jim Harris aren't called honorable at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?