1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canadian oil and gas

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    Im toying with the idea of trying to get a summer job in the tarsands and I was wondering if anyone could give me the names of some companies I could enquire to. I'm in the third year of a Masters in Mechanical Engineering in Scotland, if that helps at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2
    Shell, Imperial Oil, Petro-Canada, Exxonmobile, Suncor, Syncrude Canada are some of the companies I know off the top of my head that are in the Alberta oil sands just because I've seen them recruit on my campus.

If you think you would like to work there because you think you can make a lot of money, think twice. Alberta has an expensive housing market. With all the influx of people going into oil, the housing market cannot catch up so you would be paying expensive rent while you stay unless you can manage to find a bunch of roomies to share or if the company has some housing allowance or their own work-site housing.
  4. Mar 3, 2008 #3
    www.monster.ca - here's a Canadian job website

You might have to work for longer than a summer (4 months) to be an attractive hire. It's not worth the pain for the company to get you a visa if you're not there for very long.
  5. Mar 5, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But you can get a good position, work there for a year and get experience.

Where I'm from, it's almost impossible to get a good job without experience.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?