Exploring Canadian Universities for Engineering: Prospects for NASA and Beyond

In summary, a student in their first year of the International Baccalaureate program at Ashbury College has a strong interest in maths and sciences and would like to pursue a career in aerospace/mechanical engineering and eventually become an astronaut. They are considering Canadian universities such as Waterloo, Queens, McGill, and U of T and would like to hear from others who have attended these schools to learn about the quality of education and what it takes to get in. They are also wondering about the difficulty of getting a job with NASA after attending a Canadian university. They have found that not many Canadian universities offer aerospace engineering and are wondering what programs would be recommended at the undergraduate level before pursuing aerospace/mechanical engineering at the graduate level. U of
Quantum_Prodegy
Hello everyone,

I'm in my first year of the International Baccalaureate program (gr 11) at Ashbury College (Ottawa, Canada) and have a strong interest in maths and sciences. I would like to go into aerospace/mechanical engineering, and then work for NASA. My greatest aspiration is to become an astronaut, but University comes before NASA.

I have a few different Canadian Universities in mind, it would be amazing to get into the US but extremely costly and difficult. So for now, which Canadian Universities should I look further into? So far I have been thinking Waterloo, Queens, McGill, or U of T.

I was hopoing to perhaps hear from others who have attended these schools, what they like/dislike about them, quality of education, etc...as well as what it takes to get into them.

Also, if I were to attend a Canadian school such as one of the ones above, how difficult would it be to get a job with NASA, coming from Canada?

Thanks,
-Jonathan

PS - this is off topic but how does GPA compare to a Cdn high school average, or and IB mark?

Physics news on Phys.org
Queen's, U of T, Waterloo, and Mcgill are all prestigious and it doesn't make a big difference on the undergrad level. However, for the grad level, you can try to make it to U of T since it has one of the best aero/mech engineering program

ok thanks, i found that not many Canadian universities offer aerospace engineering...is this correct or am i just researching this wrong.

what programs would you recoment at the undergrad lvl, prior to aerospace/mech engineering at grad lvl?

i don't know much about aerospace or mech ( i am elec), but logically you would have to start with aero/mech in your undergrad. U of T's undergrad engineering science program has an aerospace option, but keep in mind that the eng sci is highly sophisticated and thus it's very competitive to get in. You may though start with mechanical which it would be easier to get in. you would also need to contact the U of T aerospace institue (click here) to check on their requirements. Beyond that i am not really helpful, i would urge you to continue on your research and seek advice from those who may know better.

1. What are the top engineering universities in Canada?

The top engineering universities in Canada include the University of Toronto, University of Waterloo, University of British Columbia, McGill University, and University of Alberta.

2. How do Canadian universities compare to American universities for engineering?

Canadian universities are highly ranked for engineering, with several institutions consistently ranking in the top 100 globally. They offer high-quality education, research opportunities, and strong connections to industry, making them competitive with American universities.

3. What opportunities are available for engineering students in Canada for NASA and other space programs?

Canadian universities have various opportunities for engineering students interested in NASA and other space programs. Several universities have partnerships with NASA and offer internships, research projects, and co-op opportunities related to space engineering.

4. Are there any specific Canadian universities that have a strong focus on aerospace engineering?

Yes, several Canadian universities have a strong focus on aerospace engineering, including the University of Toronto, Ryerson University, and Carleton University. These institutions offer specialized programs, research opportunities, and collaborations with the Canadian Space Agency.

5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for international students studying engineering in Canada?

Yes, many Canadian universities offer scholarships and financial aid for international students studying engineering. These can include merit-based scholarships, need-based aid, and specific awards for international students. It is best to check with individual universities for more information on available funding opportunities.