Canadian wondering about applying to School in US for Engineering

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of pursuing an undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering in Canada or the United States. The original poster expresses concern about the limited options for aerospace engineering programs in Canada and inquires about the possibility of attending a university in the US. Other forum members suggest alternative universities in Canada and offer insights on the different job opportunities and graduate school prospects between them. The conversation also touches on the academic rigor of certain programs and the fear of living alone while attending university. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of finding the right fit for an individual's academic and personal needs.
Millacol88
Well, I'm in grade 11, I think the major for me is Aerospace engineering. Unfortunately, there are only two schools in Canada that offer a dedicated aerospace engineering program, and neither of them are extremely well-regarded in terms of academics (as I understand).

Which leads me to my question: How big of a hassle would it be to do my undergrad in the US? I mean in terms of admissions, cost, residence, etc. Would I have to take the SATs as well? We haven't got them here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know of one, University of Toronto Eng Sci Aerospace Engineering which is well-regarded nationally and internationally.

Kevin_Axion said:
I know of one, University of Toronto Eng Sci Aerospace Engineering which is well-regarded nationally and internationally.

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my OP that I have considered that option, but I'm not sure I will have the grades to get in, and if I did whether I could manage to stay in it.

As Kevin said, U of T has an Aero program within EngSci, which you can tell from the name is probably less applied than other Aero programs. U of T is one of the best schools in Canada and if you can get through it, you'll be able to go to the states for graduate school (if you want). Otherwise, Carleton University offers an Aerospace engineering program (I believe the 1st in Canada) with 4 branches (Aerodynamics/propulsion, structures/systems/vehicle design, space system design and electronics and systems). Pretty much all undergraduate programs teach the same thing as long as they are accredited, which Carleton is. I think Ryerson has one also...

Would you say there's a difference in regards to the sorts of jobs available between Carleton and UofT? I am much closer to Carleton, and along with the easier courseload I think I would prefer it. But if there is a huge difference in the programs I may reconsider. I figured if I couldn't decide on either of them going to the States would be best, but upon researching it a bit after I made this thread I found that tuition, residence, and expenses were nearly 50k/year (that was for a high-ranking state school).

Millacol88 said:
Would you say there's a difference in regards to the sorts of jobs available between Carleton and UofT? I am much closer to Carleton, and along with the easier courseload I think I would prefer it. But if there is a huge difference in the programs I may reconsider. I figured if I couldn't decide on either of them going to the States would be best, but upon researching it a bit after I made this thread I found that tuition, residence, and expenses were nearly 50k/year (that was for a high-ranking state school).

I don't know a whole lot about the EngSci (Aerospace) at U of T but I'd suspect U of T would prepare one better for an MSc (even though Carleton Aero would still definitely prepare you). U of T would have a "better" reputation among grad schools in the states. I can't find the required courses for U of T EngSci, but here are the ones for http://www2.carleton.ca/engineering-design/current-students/undergrad-academic-support/prerequisite-trees/prerequisite-trees-as-of-fall-2010/" . You can PM me if you have any specific questions about Carleton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, UofT better preparing me for grad studies in the US wouldn't really be beneficial as I would probably pick UofT for a grad school whether I went to Carleton or UofT for undergrad.

Millacol88 said:
I'm not sure I will have the grades to get in, and if I did whether I could manage to stay in it.
Millacol88 said:
along with the easier courseload I think I would prefer it.
Millacol88 said:
I would probably pick UofT for a grad school whether I went to Carleton or UofT for undergrad.
Honestly, these statements really contradict each other. You can't say a university is too tough for undergraduate studies, but count on going there for grad school. By that I'm not saying it is too tough for you, but just that the logic of your thinking is somewhat convoluted.

Ryker said:
Honestly, these statements really contradict each other. You can't say a university is too tough for undergraduate studies, but count on going there for grad school. By that I'm not saying it is too tough for you, but just that the logic of your thinking is somewhat convoluted.

I am more intimidated by the rigor of the specific program I mentioned, not the University itself. the dropout/transfer rate from engsci makes me nervous, as well as being so far from home my first time living alone. Hope that clarifies things.

Millacol88 said:
I am more intimidated by the rigor of the specific program I mentioned, not the University itself. the dropout/transfer rate from engsci makes me nervous,
As far as this is concerned, my point still stands. Grad school isn't easier or less selective than undergrad (note: I do not have personal experience with grad school yet, but I think this is the general consensus).
Millacol88 said:
as well as being so far from home my first time living alone.
And as for this, don't worry, I know it's scary moving away from the comfort and security of your own home, but it is a step you'll need (want) to take someday. So don't let those scary thoughts influence your decision on what university to attend, because once you've settled in, you'll see those fears were hollow on the inside.

Millacol88 said:
I am more intimidated by the rigor of the specific program I mentioned, not the University itself. the dropout/transfer rate from engsci makes me nervous, as well as being so far from home my first time living alone. Hope that clarifies things.

Dropouts from engineering school are high in general... The workload just isn't even comparable to that of high school. It's the workload that kills people, not generally the specific material. If you're at least decent at math/science and you're willing to put in a ton of work, then the only reason you'll drop out is from lack of interest in the program. You're actually probably better off if you go into it a little intimidated. A huge portion of the people who I've seen drop out of my eng program dropped out because of cockiness: they saw themselves as 'gods of science' and bragged about how well they did in high school with no effort. They thought they could coast through a uni program in a similar fashion and were shocked to find that they actually had to study HARD in order to do moderately well. Those who came in with an "I need to study or I'm going to fail" attitude did a lot better.

It doesn't really matter which university you go to. Expect that you're going to have to work a lot harder than you've ever worked before. But at least understand that most people drop out from poor work ethic or because they realize they aren't interested in engineering, and not because they aren't smart enough.

thegreenlaser said:
Dropouts from engineering school are high in general... The workload just isn't even comparable to that of high school. It's the workload that kills people, not generally the specific material. If you're at least decent at math/science and you're willing to put in a ton of work, then the only reason you'll drop out is from lack of interest in the program. You're actually probably better off if you go into it a little intimidated. A huge portion of the people who I've seen drop out of my eng program dropped out because of cockiness: they saw themselves as 'gods of science' and bragged about how well they did in high school with no effort. They thought they could coast through a uni program in a similar fashion and were shocked to find that they actually had to study HARD in order to do moderately well. Those who came in with an "I need to study or I'm going to fail" attitude did a lot better.

It doesn't really matter which university you go to. Expect that you're going to have to work a lot harder than you've ever worked before. But at least understand that most people drop out from poor work ethic or because they realize they aren't interested in engineering, and not because they aren't smart enough.

You are right but someone who is familiar with the Eng Sci program will know that it is a lot more difficult. It's necessary to take courses in quantum mechanics and I believe they take seven courses per semester.

Kevin_Axion said:
You are right but someone who is familiar with the Eng Sci program will know that it is a lot more difficult. It's necessary to take courses in quantum mechanics and I believe they take seven courses per semester.

Yup, and if they know they will most likely switch over to a 'regular' engineering discipline their will be no advantage of them being at the school over say Queens/Carleton/McMaster/Waterloo, etc...

What is the application process like for Canadian students applying to engineering schools in the US?

The application process for Canadian students applying to engineering schools in the US is similar to that of American students. You will need to submit transcripts, standardized test scores (such as the SAT or ACT), letters of recommendation, and a personal statement or essay. Some schools may also require additional materials, such as a resume or portfolio.

Do I need to take any additional standardized tests as a Canadian student applying to engineering schools in the US?

No, Canadian students do not need to take any additional standardized tests beyond those required for American students. However, some schools may require international students to take the TOEFL or IELTS to demonstrate English proficiency.

Are there any special requirements or considerations for Canadian students applying to engineering schools in the US?

While the basic application process is the same for Canadian and American students, there may be some additional requirements or considerations for international students. These could include obtaining a student visa, providing proof of financial support, and possibly demonstrating English proficiency. It is important to carefully review the application requirements for each school you are interested in to ensure you meet all necessary criteria.

What are the costs associated with attending an engineering school in the US as a Canadian student?

The cost of attending an engineering school in the US as a Canadian student will vary depending on the specific school and program you choose. You will need to consider tuition, fees, living expenses, and any additional costs such as health insurance. It is important to research and compare the costs of different schools to find the best fit for your budget.

Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for Canadian students attending engineering schools in the US?

Yes, there are scholarships and financial aid options available for Canadian students attending engineering schools in the US. Many schools offer merit-based scholarships for international students, and there are also external scholarship opportunities specifically for Canadian students. It is important to research and apply for scholarships early in the application process to increase your chances of receiving financial aid.