Canadians: George's Test the Nation

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: It's only for these reasons that the test is 'out of 150'. In fact, if you read the website it says they are using a different scale, so really it's not out of 150 but they are converting it to be out of 150 so people don't get too confused.In summary, the conversation revolved around a Canadian broadcast of an IQ test, which some participants took and shared their scores. The test was found to be biased towards math and some participants found it challenging. There was also a discussion about the scoring system and how it compares to other IQ tests.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Any other Canadians spend 2 hours of their Sunday evening on this show?

I scored 42/50. For my age group, that equates to a 134 IQ (Superior).

I found it biased toward math. They could have done more pattern recognition and perception.

Physics news on Phys.org
The link to the test:
http://www.cbc.ca/testthenation/episodes/iq/

I got 35/50, which equates to a 116. I got most of the logic, language and math questions, but anything involving memory was pretty bad. Totally bombed the perception aspect of it too (except for the missing pieces portion--I chalk that up to puzzle construction when I was a kid)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's what Canadians do on Sunday evenings. Take tests on the teevee. It says right here in the handbook, Dave, that you're not supposed to say this stuff out loud to people in other countries. Page 53 paragraph 6.

How many concussions have I had? lol

GeorginaS said:
Yeah, that's what Canadians do on Sunday evenings. Take tests on the teevee. It says right here in the handbook, Dave, that you're not supposed to say this stuff out loud to people in other countries. Page 53 paragraph 6.
:tongue:

You might have misunderstood. I'm not targeting Canadians because I think they're more likely to spend their Sunday evenings this way, I'm targeting Canadians because it was a Canadian broadcast (CBC), and my post does not apply to non-Canadians.

It froze on me on the sense of direction bit. I should tell my neighbour he needs a better internet connection.

I did not do very well anyway. Next time I will try with a decent connection and not while drinking. I was all jazzed to know how many IQ points I lose while intoxicated though.

edit: and I'm not Canadian. Sorry to pollute your thread Dave. ;-)

Missed this but I tried the Canadian citizenship test and got 18/20
You need to be pretty good on geology.
I got wrong - what are the main minerals mined in the territories (I think I picked the minerals mined in mined in Canada as a whole), and the shield is in northern Quebec as well as Northern Ontario.

And a couple of trick questions, Nunavut isn't the last province or territory to 'join' Canada since it was created not 'joined'

DaveC426913 said:
:tongue:

You might have misunderstood. I'm not targeting Canadians because I think they're more likely to spend their Sunday evenings this way, I'm targeting Canadians because it was a Canadian broadcast (CBC), and my post does not apply to non-Canadians.

Nah, I didn't misunderstand at all. I saw that it was on CBC, so I knew that's why you were asking Canadians. As a fellow Cannuck, I was pulling your leg about what a subdued bunch we are and how we need to keep that information away from the rest of the world. [Note: my last sentence was tongue-in-cheek -- except for the "pulling your leg" part, that was serious in a silly way] :smile:

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
Missed this but I tried the Canadian citizenship test and got 18/20
You need to be pretty good on geology.

No, this was definitely an IQ test. There were no "knowledge" questions at all and no culture-contextual questions.

I suspect that the reason I found it so heavily biased toward math problem-solving is that math is the only universal language. There was only one section on word association (Greedy is to money as curious is to ?) that required a pretty good grasp of English which, particularly here in Canada, we cannot count on when testing IQ.

I got 108. There's an option to select for non-Canadians. But on the bell curve, I was almost at the very top with a crappy 108 score.

leroyjenkens said:
I got 108. There's an option to select for non-Canadians. But on the bell curve, I was almost at the very top with a crappy 108 score.

It's out of 150 with an average of 100... how are you making this relative claim that 108 is a crappy score, unless you're merely comparing it to Dave... (who got SUPERIOR... which means NOT AVERAGE...)

zomgwtf said:
It's out of 150 with an average of 100...
What do you mean, out of 150?

For confidence reasons, I do not take IQ tests. Intelligence is an insecurity of mine.

Also,
hehe, Canadians, hehe.

Pinu7 said:
Also,
hehe, Canadians, hehe.
:grumpy:

DaveC426913 said:
What do you mean, out of 150?

The test states that it gives the IQ out of 150 with the average of 100, I'm pretty sure that is what I read.

DaveC426913 said:
:grumpy:

Now, see? You're the one who didn't follow the handbook. Geez.

i scored 42, got tricked by the math scenario questions...

...and I'm not Canadian.

zomgwtf said:
The test states that it gives the IQ out of 150 with the average of 100, I'm pretty sure that is what I read.
IQ is an open-ended scale.

I think what you may be referring to is that, for this test, scoring perfect equates with a 150 IQ.

DaveC426913 said:

I think what you may be referring to is that, for this test, scoring perfect equates with a 150 IQ.

No it's not really "open-ended" you can not take IQ tests (professional ones) and score say 100000000 most you can not even score above 200. The maximum is determined mostly by demographics and by the test itself. The way it works is a bellcurve is set up with 50% of what people score on the test as IQ100. Now depending on your score your IQ is graded RELATIVE to the rest of the population, so what 'percentile' you are in. The top IQ of an IQ test should have only a single person and so should the lowest... in theory. Different tests can be quite different including different deviations... You can set up your own IQ gradient however you want, the tests are by no-means 'open-ended' (limitless).

In this test the maximum IQ acheivable is 150 so the bell cuve should have been calculated such that it is only probably that very few people reach that high and that 50% of people get 100 (IDK where they get their data from whether it's prior test or worldwide test etc.) Normally these don't work out perfectly since the IQ of nations AFAIK has been rising quite consistently.

zomgwtf said:
No it's not really "open-ended" you can not take IQ tests (professional ones) and score say 100000000 most you can not even score above 200.
The test is out of 50.

It's true the test test will score only up to 150 IQ, but it sounds misleading to suggest that it gives the IQ "...out of 150..."

DaveC426913 said:
The test is out of 50.

It's true the test test will score only up to 150 IQ, but it sounds misleading to suggest that it gives the IQ "...out of 150..."

Well not in my mind since the highest IQ acheivable here is 150 (should only have 1 person attaining it based on the bell-curve... dependent on the test).

If you mean that from test to test the limits are variable when you say 'open-ended' then I agree, at first I thought you were saying that the IQ itself on a given test was open-ended, for instance if you take an IQ you can score an IQ higher than what's listed as the maximum. An IQ of 150 on this test should be equivalent of scoring the maximum IQ on other IQ tests, or relatively close.

zomgwtf said:
If you mean that from test to test the limits are variable when you say 'open-ended' then I agree, at first I thought you were saying that the IQ itself on a given test was open-ended,
No, I simply meant IQ itself is open-ended. There is no upper limit, just like there is no upper limit on bench-pressing weights or sprinting.

DaveC426913 said:
No, I simply meant IQ itself is open-ended. There is no upper limit, just like there is no upper limit on bench-pressing weights or sprinting.

I think you have a misunderstanding of how the IQ system works. It's not like the smarter you get the higher your IQ goes up to infinity. Each test has a maximum based on it's OWN demographics, deviations, etc. etc. an IQ of 200 on one test MAY be equivalent of 150 on this test. Just because it says 'IQ200' does not mean you have scored better than the IQ150. (Unless it was on the same test). The limits for a test are determined by whoever owns/operates/created the test as you approach these limits there are less and less people who are in the same category as you.

The number you get as your 'IQ' is not some measurable universal thing, it varies from test to test.

zomgwtf said:
I think you have a misunderstanding of how the IQ system works. It's not like the smarter you get the higher your IQ goes up to infinity. Each test has a maximum based on it's OWN demographics, deviations, etc. etc. an IQ of 200 on one test MAY be equivalent of 150 on this test. Just because it says 'IQ200' does not mean you have scored better than the IQ150. (Unless it was on the same test). The limits for a test are determined by whoever owns/operates/created the test as you approach these limits there are less and less people who are in the same category as you.

The number you get as your 'IQ' is not some measurable universal thing, it varies from test to test.

I did not know that. I'll take your word for it.

1. What is "Canadians: George's Test the Nation"?

"Canadians: George's Test the Nation" is a televised event in Canada where contestants compete in a series of trivia questions and challenges to test their knowledge and intelligence.

2. When did "Canadians: George's Test the Nation" first air?

The first episode of "Canadians: George's Test the Nation" aired on January 23, 2011.

3. Who is the host of "Canadians: George's Test the Nation"?

The host of "Canadians: George's Test the Nation" is Canadian journalist and media personality George Stroumboulopoulos.

4. How are contestants chosen for "Canadians: George's Test the Nation"?

Contestants for "Canadians: George's Test the Nation" are chosen through an application process and must go through a series of tests and interviews to be selected for the show.

5. Are there any prizes for winning "Canadians: George's Test the Nation"?

Yes, the winning contestant or team of "Canadians: George's Test the Nation" receives a cash prize and the title of "Canada's Smartest Person". In addition, all contestants receive various prizes for participating in the show.