Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Canceling Gaussian noise

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    Hi

I am measuring the impedance of an operating antenna over time.
    Assuming the environment is not changing and the antenna temperature remain constant (No thermal drift) I am receiving the impedance value and additional noise that I want to model as Gaussian noise.
    So my simple model is:
    Y = X + Z. Where Y is the output, X is the 'pure' impedance value and Z is the noise.
    My question is what is the best way to extract X.

Obviously I can sample many samples and find the average value, but I am looking for a less wasteful way.

Thanks a lot
    Mosh

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

You could use a Bayesian approach where you account for whatever prior information you have.

4. Mar 12, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post diagrams of your setup and the schematic of the circuit you are using to monitor its impedance? Are you doing this in an anechoic chamber or shielded room? I'm guessing most of the noise you are seeing is coming from your measurement circuit, and you may be able to reduce the noise of that circuit with some attention to details...

5. Mar 14, 2017 #4
    Thanks a lot.
    Thanks. This is exactly the answer I looked for.

6. Mar 14, 2017 #5
    Thanks a lot on your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted