Fresh Start: Moving to a New School with a Low GPA

In summary: Failing in school does not mean you cannot succeed in another field. Even if you have a bad GPA, you can still get the education you need to succeed. However, you would have to work much harder to make up for this past academic dishonesty.
waht
Lets say you have a bad GPA at one school, can you go to another school without telling them about your bad GPA and start all over without transfering any credits?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
waht said:
Lets you have a bad GPA at one school, can you go to another school without telling them about your bad GPA and start all over without transfering any credits?

Based on how universities tend to project themselves... I would think they would expell you once they found out that you lied on your application.

Is it a lie simply not to produce a transcript? I'm not being rhetorical; I'm just wondering.

jmcgraw said:
Is it a lie simply not to produce a transcript? I'm not being rhetorical; I'm just wondering.

Well they basically ask for something, you lie and say you don't have it. Whether its technically a lie, there still going to refuse you. They won't be swayed if its not perfectly up to the definition.

jmcgraw said:

It very much depends on the school and the information they require on the application form. If they ask you to list all previous education, then you are essentially "lying" if you don't include your aborted schooling.

However, as in many cases when things like this occur, ASK the admission officer! This can be very much dependent on individual school, so a blanket answer here is quite useless.

Zz.

I always side on total honesty

waht said:
Lets say you have a bad GPA at one school, can you go to another school without telling them about your bad GPA and start all over without transfering any credits?

The question here is about dishonesty and to what extent you want to mislead a university about your questionable background. You must first ask yourself if you have the determination to fix this GPA and do well on the rest of your classes. To start your career by misleading a university just because you want to erase a part of your academic career is just insane and unethical at best. This is not a court of law where you can create an illusion of truth out of a bunch of lies this is academia. How badly did you fail? Did you get thrown out due to poor grades? I think the admission officer would know what would count towards your new program/school but to not address your poor progress is just a recipe to repeat it at a new school. It may happen that none of your previous coursework would count usually a school takes in any class that is equivalent that is B or greater.

Submit your past academic experience, and explain why you did poorly in your personal statement. I think they would believe that many in your situation would fib and not include their past poor academics, and if you include it, they might look at this as a positive.

1. What is a "Fresh Start" program for students with a low GPA?

A "Fresh Start" program is a program designed for students who have a low GPA and are transferring to a new school. It allows students to start with a clean academic record and have their previous low grades not impact their GPA at the new school.

2. How does a student qualify for a "Fresh Start" program?

Each school may have different eligibility requirements for their "Fresh Start" program. Generally, students must have a low GPA and be transferring to a new school. Some schools may also require a certain number of credits to have been completed at the previous school.

3. Will my previous low grades still appear on my transcript?

Yes, your previous low grades will still appear on your transcript. However, they will not be factored into your GPA at the new school. The new school will only consider your grades earned at their institution.

4. Will my financial aid be affected by participating in a "Fresh Start" program?

Financial aid is determined by each individual school, so it is best to check with the financial aid office at the new school. Some schools may consider your previous low grades when determining financial aid, while others may not.

5. Can I participate in a "Fresh Start" program more than once?

It depends on the policies of the new school. Some schools may allow students to participate in a "Fresh Start" program more than once, while others may have a limit on how many times a student can participate. It is important to check with the new school before applying for a "Fresh Start" program.