Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cancelling an AOL Account

1. Jun 22, 2006 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

Don't for get to click on the video.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13447232/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

They played a few minutes of that on Canada AM this morning. Hilarious!

4. Jun 22, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

AOL is in deep doo-doo. They had to know this day would come.

5. Jun 22, 2006 #4
    I want to hear the clip. Your HW, find the audio file and link it.

Nice thread Yomama, I hate AOL and everything it stands for (which is nothing).

6. Jun 22, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The rep may have carried it too far, but those reps have it beat into them evey day to do ANYTHING to prevent a customer from disconnecting.

I don't know of a large telecom or ISP that doesn't have a separate "disconnect" department that a customer is transferred to if they insist on disconnecting. The reps in these departments are specially trained to talk the customer out of disconnecting.

AOL is full of it by denying it's not their policy to try to dissuade customers from disconnecting.

7. Jun 22, 2006 #6
    Video of him trying to cancle his account
    Un-edited audio
    The sad part is that they guy got fired for doing what he was told to do.
    From the appolgy letter.
    Yeah right this isn't only time...I saw this comment on a another website:

8. Jun 22, 2006 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

One of the comments:

9. Jun 22, 2006 #8
    My notebook, which was a gift, came with an AOL disc that seemed to be the fastest way for me to get online with it, and, being in a rush to do that, I plugged the phone line in and inserted the disk.

A couple months later something went funky and the AOL tech help couldn't solve the problem, so, of course, I called the cancellation number. Despite the facts I could no longer get online with their service, and their tech help couldn't fix it, the girl squirmed, vascillated, debated, and tried to persuade me to have tech help have another go at it, untill I lost my temper, started raising my voice and throwing some profanity in. That worked, but I'm extremely resentful of them for setting open anger as the only point at which they seem to back off.

10. Jun 22, 2006 #9
    My Mother canceled her AOL account about a month ago, she said the lady on the phone was being very difficult, and she had to yell at her to get her to cancel.

11. Jun 22, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a big difference between making an attempt to dissuade a customer from disconnecting (the old "ask three times" rule type thing, or trying to match a competitor's price if they're switching providers) and making them repeat themselves for 45 minutes when they are saying nothing but "cancel the account." I've never had such difficulty disconnecting anything. If I ran into that, I'd probably tell them to stuff themselves and call my credit card company to block any further charges from them and let the credit card company's fraud department fight them, because when it reaches the level it reached with that call, that's fraud in my opinion.

12. Jun 22, 2006 #11
    That is exactly what I would have done. There is no way (if I'm not under a contract) that anybody is forcing me to pay for a product that I don't want. The fact that the guy remained that cool surprised me. I would have flipped out completely. As for making him listen to that statement at the end, I would have told him to shove it somewhere. Not cancelling when asked (especially that many times :rofl:) is definitely fraud.

13. Jun 23, 2006 #12
    A few years back my daughter (age 11 at the time I think) somehow signed up with AOL and they started billing us for it. I went through the same nonsense as this guy: "Cancel the account! Cancel the account! Cancel the account! ...". I was finally successful, but the next month we were billed again. I went through the nonsense a second time but this time got a confirmation number. That did the trick.

14. Jun 23, 2006 #13
    Doesnt surprise me, that:
    A) NBC would air this, considering TW owns AOL.
    B) AOL act like this.

AOL are a virus and need to be terminated anyway...

15. Jun 23, 2006 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er.. it also aired on CNN, and TW owns CNN. It is, right now, on CNN webpage.

Zz.

16. Jun 23, 2006 #15
    Where was it first aired? Perhaps CCN also relise that AOL needs to be terminated ;)

17. Jun 23, 2006 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

They can always call AOL customer service for that.

Zz.

18. Jun 23, 2006 #17

JamesU

Gold Member

They did. It took them 45 minutes to cancel an account...

19. Jun 23, 2006 #18
    "Blogosphere" has got to be the dumbest word I've heard of.

20. Jun 23, 2006 #19
    I cancelled my account back in 97 or 98 as I had high speed and didn't need it anyore. Same stuff as above. They've been doing this for a very long time. My bank said they couldn't block a transaction unless I knew the exact date so I ended up having to change my bank account as it was drawn on that. I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit, personally.

21. Jun 23, 2006 #20
    Same stuff happened here, too. My dad tried to cancel the account and thought he had succeeded. I guess the rep. thought otherwise because we kept receiving bills. I'm still not sure how he got them to cancel the account.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?