Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cancerous fish

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1

Aki

What would happen if you ate a cancerous fish? Is it going to cause cancer?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I'd imagine that if the fish was properly cooked, the cells would most likely be dead, and so no, they couldn't multiply and cause cancer. If the fish was raw however, I'm not altogether sure. I'd think that most cells would be killed in the stomach, or recognised as foreign and destroyed by the body the same as any pathogen, but I can't be sure, so don't take my word for it.

4. Nov 17, 2004 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What matthyaouw says makes sense. There's probably a much greater risk of developing cancer from the accumulated environmental pollutants in the fish tissue.

5. Nov 17, 2004 #4
    If you were to get cancer from eating a cancerous fish it would not be from the cancer cells of the fish but more to the extent to which phobos and matthyaouw said. The reason for this is that the cells of the fish undergoing mutations are not of your body and therefore upon entry will be attacked as a foreign invader. If it was possible to spread throughout the body its chances would be very low, but because they are not of our body they cannot produce cancer in humans. Although your question was a very good one. I would not have thought of that. Good job Aki

6. Nov 19, 2004 #5

Aki

Ah thanks guys, because I've always been worried eating the raw salmon at a Japanese restaurant.

7. Nov 19, 2004 #6

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By far, the biggest risk of eating raw fish is pathogens (bacteria, etc.).

8. Nov 21, 2004 #7

Aki

Well when eating sashimi (raw fish), people usually put wasabi (the green hot stuff) on it and it's supposed to kill bacterias, how does that work anyways?

9. Nov 21, 2004 #8
    oh, I now get the joke in "Bruce almighty" that jim says "perhaps you put to much wasabi on your sashimi" to a guy who had just been on fire. Actually it think it was in the deleted scenes but I am not certain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?