Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Candle Generator?

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    Candle Generator??

A Coworker showed me this video today. Is this even possible? To me it looks like he flips a switch under the table when the light goes on and off, and when the motor goes on and off. I do have a semester of general physics under my belt, but I have no idea how to explain this if this is even physically possible. Anyone have any explanations? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILGjAtfhGW0&feature=PlayList&p=FC18ED30D9E98A16&index=13

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Candle Generator??

No, it isn't possible.

Note how fast the light lights up even when the candle lights slowly. And I wonder why he has a hand under the table every time a device goes on or off...?

4. Aug 13, 2009 #3

negitron

Science Advisor

Notice we never see the bottom of the candle. If I were going to do this, I'd inlay some very fine bare copper wire into the tabletop. Its color and finish combined with the low quality video would easily hide it. The wires on one side would be connected to the battery positive terminal through the switch and the other side to the negative--all hidden under the table, of course. Inside the candle, I'd embed a copper rod or tube and solder a disc of copper foil to it to increase the contact area so I wouldn't have to fiddle with it to make contact. Pushing the nail slightly off center guarantees contact. The rest is obvious.

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

That has got to be one of the stupidest things that I've ever seen in my life; I couldn't even finish watching it. If for no other reason (although there are lots of others), since when does wax conduct electricity? If it does, I have an idea for a Brazilian treatment that would scare even Courtney Love away.

6. Aug 13, 2009 #5

negitron

Science Advisor

Uh, it's called a "magic trick."

7. Aug 13, 2009 #6

The candle makers are not complaining.
    Is it possible to get this type of video removed from U-tube?

8. Aug 13, 2009 #7

negitron

Science Advisor

No. What, next you'll want to ban Chris Angel because real people can't walk through walls? :rolleyes:

It's a goddamn magic trick, not a crackpot claim.

9. Aug 13, 2009 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Negitron, there was no mention of the context in the original post nor the video. I agree that it's an illusion, but I had the impression that it was being presented as a scientific breakthrough. My mistake.
    (I still can't get the vision of that electric bikini wax technique out of my head, though...)

10. Aug 13, 2009 #9

I dont have my speakers hooked up.
    I assumed it was a crackpot claim just by the subtitles.

God damned that magic?
    Ok then.

Chris Angel should be banned because its just flat out incredibly bad TV.
    Same for Dancing with the Vegetables. (Sorry attempt at levity)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook